busted strap button

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by retitled, Oct 6, 2004.

1. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    didnt know where else to post this sorry.

the hole where the screw is for my strap, the wood got grinded and got alot wider so now the screw doesnt fit and the strap button keeps flying off and the bass keeps falling off teh strap. how can i fix the hole and make it smaller? can i make it smaller? a filler or something?
  2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Take a wooden match or two if required and stuff it in the hole with some yellow carpenters glue. Let dry overnight.

Trim the excess off with a knife or razor.
    Screw the button back in. All set.
  3. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Yup. What Thor said. Depending on how big the hole actually got, you might have to stuff a lot of toothpicks in there, but it will do the trick.
  4. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    The above ideas work great, either wooden matches or toothpicks and carpenters glue. Be patient and let the glue dry all the way before trimming. Be careful when trimming the excess wood off, it's at an awkward angle and easy to slip and nick your finish.

If you fill the hole all the way, you may want to drill a tiny pilot hole for the screw. Use a bit smaller than the screw, and don't go too deep (1/2" or so).
  5. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    im not too worried about the finish. this a crappy bass :p but untill i get a new one, soon hopefully. it slipping off of me is annoying
    thanks guy :) ill try this tomorow :)
  6. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    wood dowels also work. thats what i used on my ric when i put straplocks on it. the original strap buttons left a hella fat hole that o could have probably recessed the straplocks into if i felt like widening it a little bit.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The matchstick/toothpick method works very well.

I am moving this to the Setup forum, since it is repair related.