1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Busted Tone Pot on an Aria igb805

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kumimajava, Jan 6, 2017.

1. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Having acquired a curiosity for the 5th string, and perhaps too much sake whilst perusing Yahoo-auctions, I'm now the happy owner of an early 90's Aria Prio II IGB-805.

The bass is in good shape, and the tone sounds good, excepting two niggles:

1. there is a lot of noise coming through the signal when the "treble" tone pot is engage. When i roll back the treble all the way to 0, the noise goes away. (it's the one on the lower-left, in the first photo).

2. There is likely a shielding issue, since the bass hums, but a bit less so when I touch the strings. On the other hand, if i touch any of the screws on the electronic cavity, the hum intensifies... so a grounding issue as well?

I've had a look around online, and I can't find much about Aria electronics. A pic of the preamp etc. is attached. Would it make sense to try to swap out the tone-pot, or should I just get a replacement preamp? If replacing the tone-pot, would any of you have an idea as to what k-ohm values Aria was using?

Or - if the shielding issue is the main cause, is the tone-pot just a red-herring (turning down the treble filters out hiss/noise?).

Apologies for the obvious noob questions here - but would appreciate any input. I know I could probably take this issue to a shop, and get it sorted there, but since this is a "learning" instrument for me, I wouldn't mind learning a bit of the diy/maintenance that goes with it :)

Sml_9. Sml_8. Sml_7.

Alembic83 likes this.
  2. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Just a quick follow-up, in case someone comes across this post in the future, trying to solve a similar problem.

I got some cheap copper shielding tape, and figured I'd try shielding the electronics & pickups cavities to see whether that helps, before actually mucking around with the soldering iron.

Shielding the electronics cavity reduced the hiss/noise by around 80%, and the pickup cavities about 15%. As far as I can tell, the bass is now almost silent. Moving the pot around does cause a bit of crackling, but I expect that's normal for a pot that age. I'll leave it as is, for now.

No pics of the shielded cavity, sadly, because it looks hideous (was a quick & dirty attempt just to see whether it works), but if I do re-do it properly one day, I'll update the thread with some photos.

Overall, very happy with the bass - very comfy to play, and sounds nice and clean :)

3. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Get some quality pot cleaner, have the bass with the knobs down, squirt a little cleaner in the slot by the legs on the pots and rotate the knob it's full range a couple of dozen times.

It's good to be able to do the shielding and fix things yourself.;)

kumimajava likes this.
  4. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks for the recommendation - didn't know they had a special cleaner for that :) Will see what I can find.