Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Busted up

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Brendan, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Had a gig last night, and my guitarist came out with me into the pit. He wasnted to do the sychronized headbang thing, so we started, only he stayed down, and I went up...and then came back down. So his headstock smashes into my right eye. Ok, got smacked right? Noooo. He has one of those ESP's with the spoint headstock that faces UP. So I get jacked (a graduation of hit) in the eye. I apparenetly screamed, and I spun around, and went on one knee. Hurt like a bear. After about 15 seconds of so, I got back up, and went back to my usuall live show (which is pretty wild). Turns out, it did a lot of damage. I had a couple of pictures taken, and I saw one...My eye is is almost swolen shut, nearly all the white is blood red, and I have a deep cut about an inch long under my eye. And when I got the pick, there was a trail of blood that went down to my chin...then the blood blister under my thumb, from being in the pit, and the sore back from (you guesses it) being in the pit.

And I'm gonna do it tommorrow too. And Thursday, and Friday. God I love this game!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ouch! make him buy a headless guitar...

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I've played football for three years...and I don't think i've suffered more injuries than that!

well...you'd have to overlook my broken collarbone from a few years ago (but that shouldn't count-no pads or anything).

apparently, those injuries you've sustained seem to have affected your typing skills, brendan.

i WAS going to say that i wanted to come to one of your shows one of these days...but i'm unsure now...

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the thumb being busted up like it is makes it a little harder to type than previously. And no worries, if you steer clear, there very little damage. Being up front is where it can be a warzone. Actually, we (Conscious Agony) might be playing with you guys on the 1st of march. How do you like them apples? We got a show tonight, if you wanna see a slightly toned down version (me being slightly in capacitated and what not). C'mon, it'll be fun!

5. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that'd be super-cool if our bands were playing together next friday.

two birds with one stone, as it were.

too bad i got home just a few minutes ago from the WORST SHOW I'VE PLAYED with the school's jazz band. (if you forget to bring the music, you should at least know how to play the songs! d'oh!!).

hopefully, i'll be able to catch you guys next week.

ps-i still don't know a) how to get to the club and b) if we're getting paid.

i could care less about the latter: i am doing this for fun anyway.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah. About 10 minutes after is happened. You can't see the fact that the eye has NO white in it at all. It's completely blood red.

[​IMG]

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    what are you talking about. its just a scratch. I've done worse with my finger nail.. Just kidding :). Seriously that looks painful. Last thursday 5 minutes before I was supposed perform. I broke a durn bass string somehow.. Well no big deal i though. I went to pull the string off, it slipped and sliced my right on the tip of my index finger.. "at least its not bleeding" i said and as soon as i said that, it started to just drip out.. it was painfull and bloody.. worst of all I had left my other strings in my car.. and my car was not near me.... so i just took a string from someone elses bass who just happened to use the exact same strings i just.. it turned out to be fun... but man it hurt

8. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    You look pretty pissed. I jumped into the crowd one night to crowd surf with my bass and people were grabbing my headstock so I jerked it away and hit a girl in the face with it by accident and now shes my girlfriend. Whoda thunkit:D

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That pic doesn't do justice...I actually just wiped away the blood when she took it...My mom was debated wether or not to get me stiched (she's a paramedic, so I get free medical consultations!). She said any worse, and yeah, stiches. Man...looking at that pic, it deosn't do ANY justice at all...and now I'm sorta healing...dang. Wheres the really good damage shots when you need them?

10. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    picking scabs: an oft overlooked pasttime (that is, after the age of 7)

nothing feels like a freshly opened wound!

feels like the first time, for the second time (and onwards)...

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, you got it BBB. Nothing like picking your well-healing scabs. Another thing is with burned skin when it starts peeling off. Now who woulden't love ripping out huge pieces of damaged tissue! :D