Buster Williams tuning ADGC

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Confucius, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    I read here once that Buster Williams tunes A D G C. I was wondering if anyone here has tried this or had any comments on the pros and cons.
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Doesn't Ron Carter do this too? I remember reading about this on Buster's site. Something like it lets them play a higher register, thus allowing them to lead lines a little easier.
  3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Almost......I tune EADGC
  4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I think they use that tuning on their piccolo bass only.
    (but I may be wrong of course!)
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I ran into Buster at Gage's, his Hawkes was tuned standard EADG. I heard him play with SPHERE, his Hawkes was tuned (I don't have perfect pitch, they just played a bunch of tunes I know and from Buster's fingering I could tell) standard EADG.
  6. Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    Ok so I think its safe to assume this was misinformation someone posted here before.

Well its interesting to hear that Slam Stewart may have tuned like that at least. Really unique player who played these wonderful bowed solos while singing everything he played an octave above. Gonna listen to some records later tonight and see if the low E string is missed.

Major Holly had similar style to Slam Stewart -- I wonder if he also tuned that way.
  7. I've worked many jazz parties with Slam and Major. Every time I heard them, they were both using standard tuning.
  8. tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Confucious, please let us know what you find out, if you find out.
  9. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Well, Slam Stewart endorsed the 5-string Kay with a High C - (did he actually record with it? which records?) Maybe that's what was origi meant with Slam (not ADGC 4 string)
  10. Slam also did an ad for Super Sensitive strings on a Kay four string.