Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

busy drummers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Marc Piane, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I've been playing in a jazz group lately that has busy drums. It is along the lines of the Branford Marsalis - Jeff 'Tain' Watts thing. The sax player really gets into it and can pull it off. I'm having trouble 'fitting in'. When I listen to recordings with this kind of playing, the bass just seems to walk behind all the sax-drums stuff. I like the way the total package sounds. I just feel like I'm fighting. Any thoughts?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You just reminded me of my friend Joe Gallivan, who's played with Gil Evans, Miroslav Vitous, ...ah, too many to name. He's on the busy side, a "melodic" drummer. One of the great brush players.

I fought with him for a long time, especially his bass drum foot. I finally started editing out notes in my own playing, and dropping them where I thought they would fit, almost redefining the role of the bass in the process. Kinda hard to explain. I think "less is more" would describe the conclusion I came to.

I had a similar experience with Bob Moses. That guy don't need no steenkin' bass player!....

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Got it. I've also been playing with a piano trio also that is more in the Bill Evans style. I can really explore in that group. There is so much room and sensitivity. It is also very harmonically oriented. The group with the sax player tends to be more rhythmic. Stylisically it is a major switch. Maybe I just need to work on my approach to each group.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    there's busy and there's busy. If he's playing what he really hears, he's going to hear that in the context of what you're playing. So you need to play what you hear in that context as well.

If he's being busy cause he worked up alla this cool **** and wants to play it in every tune, maybe you need a new drummer...

I dunno, if you have a trio you enjoy playing with and another group you don't, you want to guard against having the same "expectation of sound" with the latter. Maybe what you don't enjoy or what you perceive as "busyness" is just "difference" and what makes it unpleasant is your head coming into it. I really try to take to heart something a drummer once told me - "Don't let your desire to make something happen get in the way of what is actually happening."

I checked out your website and it looks like you're working a lot, if it is not enjoyable maybe you should just let the money go and concentrate on what IS enjoyable.

5. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

That's so simple and so beautiful. Words to live by.

6. DITTO.

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, it's one of those things I wish I'd said...

8. I am no expert by any means and do not play too much jazz yet, but my teacher tells me to make sure you hold down the fort with simple lines when you have a busy drummer.