1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"But he's classicaly trained...."

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funkalicious101, Aug 2, 2007.

1. what does this mean?

everytime someone tries to show me some Malmstein, Batio ect video where he shreds up and down the fretboard at breakneck speed I comment on the lack of melody and general interest I have in this genre. But they always come back with "But man, you have to respect him, hes classicaly trained."

first of all, I dont and second, what the hell does classicaly trained mean anyway?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That he went through formalized musical training?

If you don't respect Malmsteen for his music, at least try to respect him for his dedication to his vision!

3. He has studied classical music?

I believe Tenacious D also holds a degree in that. ;)

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Classically trained to rock your ****ing socks off!

Classically trained, to me, means nothing. I'd love to be classically trained, but if you can't use your classical training to make good music... stop.

5. Malmsteen used his to make a pretty cool Concerto for electric Guitar. Can't say anything for Batio though because I've heard very little of his stuff.

To the OP,
    Malmsteen is very melodic. People tend to write these guys off just because of some fast shredding videos on the internet(usually from their instructionals). Check out their CDs if you really want to hear what the can do.

6. Malmsteen's stuff is pretty good. If you want awful shred, check out that Francesco Fareri (or somesuch) guy. It took me a while to "get" Malmsteen though. His combination of speed and leading one phrase into the next makes it hard to tell what's going on.

Some shredders don't do much, but Malmsteen is definitaly one of the best when it comes to playing something worth hearing. I've found that players who put well-written slow stuff on their albums too tend to be good, and the ones who don't aren't. If I catch myself going "Hey, Siobhani's Song is really pretty", then I know that artist is probably just playing a little beyond my ears, and I go study some more.

I have trouble listening to most solo guitarists though, and that includes the likes of Guthrie Govan. Something about listening to a guitar playing melodies for an hour wears me out, moreso than the speed.

7. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Wow, I haven't heard Yngwie's name in a long time. I was a huge fan back in high school (late 80's/early 90's). Yes; there was a lot of shred in his tunes, but there was also a lot of very lyrical/melodic material.

I do know what you mean about the "classically trained" comment. I hear that sort of thing a lot, as if it automatically makes somebody a monster musician. That's simply not true.

I remember hearing that phrase mentioned in the same sentence as Randy Rhoads. I listened to "Dee" a million times when I was a teenager. I loved that kind of stuff. Randy was an incredible musician. Classical training may have played a part in that. Where would he have taken his music? I don't know.

I guess what I'm saying is; you're right, classical training does not = awesome.

Joe

8. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota

classical training does = good start

9. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    one word:

QUEEN.:D

10. Classico!

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Which is the most vague: "classically trained" or "virtuoso"?

12. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    It just means he went to a musical instituiton to be formally taught, as apposed to Jimmy Page for example who is self taught.

13. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I suppose this is true in some cases. "Classical training" doesn't mean that an individual is trained well or is learning/practicing well.

It seems obvious to say, but in any style you will find mediocre and exceptional students. Of course, there are the classically trained students that simply don't practice.

In the case of Yngwie, he took that training and transfered it over to his own music. IMO, that takes ambition, creativity, talent, and a vision.

I agree, classical training is a good start (if that is something a musician aspires to do). I think the OP was expressing frustration with people accepting "he's classically trained" as a way to put musicians on some sort of pedestal.

Joe

14. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    but yngwie was self taught too

15. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    You know what... You're right! Yngwie was a rocker that turned his attention to classical music as a major influence. He may have been self-taught; however, he came from a very musical family.

Joe

16. IMHO I just don't dig Beethoven done on a Strat... I can't digest it...

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    There is very, very little in common with classical music and Yngwie Malmsteen.

"Classically trained" probably just means he took some guitar lessons at some point in his life and can read music. Yay.

18. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    lol, classically trained in Mr. Malmsteen's case means he steals songs from famous composers and shreds to a minor harmonic scale or one or two of it's modes.

Listen to ALL of his songs. All I ever hear is harmonic minor, or frigean minor. Nothing else. I can never listen to him for more than a half hour, all his stuff sounds the same.

19. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    first of all, you should. I'm the first to laugh at malmsteem and the likes, but hey, the dudes have chops, period. Maybe you can lay a funky groove but you cant shred like malmsteem or play the doubleneck like batio.

second of all, classically trained doesn't mean anything. To me when I hear that, it usually means "been taught classical since early age and usually hated playing whatever instrument". However there are some great classical artists who are classically trained and they kick ass.

And now... Arpeggios from HELL

s_bc3b63c23525dec36f0013fd77b389e4.

lmao :D

20. Classically trained?
    Did he go to Juilliard?

Then I don't think so.

I really don't know much about Yingyin Valvestem, but I think he simply may have picked up a Bach book or two.

I have no formed opinion on the man and his music.