1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

But I didn't "need" another bass......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chuck M, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I had a great collection of basses at the beginning of 2016. Sold a few that weren't getting played and I was very satisfied with what I had.

I was looking in the classified ads here one day and see a new listing for a 1997 Zon Sonus 5 in great shape for a bargain price. I jumped on that one and am so glad I did. Great bass in every way and looks almost new. Fantastic neck on this one. No truss rod needed.

Then I received an email from a dealer advertising a G.Gould ggi5 at a very low price. Well, it was an error but the actual price was still very low so I bought the bass. Mary Kay Blue ggi5. Awesome bass. Great neck on this one too!

Then I bought a Peavey Foundation fretless on an impulse since it was so inexpensive. Another fine playing and sounding bass that has not been as well looked after as some but for less than $200 for an American made fretless it is a bargain.

I guess the only cure is to ban myself from the classified ads here as well as Ebay and Reverb.

TolerancEJ, TinIndian and bholder like this.
  2. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    You are diseased,welcome to the club mate!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  3. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Welcome friend, you are far from alone.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  4. For 2016, I made it all the way to November without buying an instrument. Then I found a good deal on a used Gibson Explorer guitar; I had always wanted to own an Explorer.

For 2017 however, I am itching for 2 new basses: a MusicMan Bongo 6 HH in the PDF Starry Night finish and an F Bass VFF6-PJ (fretless with a P/J pickup configuration), in a Lake Placid Blue finish.

5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Oh, I forgot one! Also bought a Pedulla Buzz in nearly mint condition. That one was also at a bargain price that I thought I would resell but....it has the rare soap bar pick ups and sounds so very good that I am keeping it. After playing my Roscoe 6 string fretless (best electric bass I have ever played...just kills in every way) the little Pedulla feels like a little sports car.

Yes, I am sick. Knowing there are others only helps me feel a little better. LOL

6. Same here... ever since I got my Ibbys, that's all I've been playing.. then pulled out my James Johnston Jazz and was reminded how good it sounded. Next thing you know a Fender Surf Pearl active deluxe jazz is at my door...

7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    So far i haven't bought a bass in 2017, last year i bought 3. This year i think i will have to decide on selling some off and consider just two to cover my needs. Right, who am i kidding.:D

8. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I haven't bought a bass in 3 years

9. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I doubled the number of basses I own last year. I went from 2 to 4. I bought a new Ric 4003 in JG and an Ibanez SR750. All four of mine have very different sounds and characteristics.

My wife pointed out that "You don't NEED two more basses!" However, last year she got a new kitchen that cost FAR more than the 2 I bought.

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    There is no cure. You just sell the basses that aren't of interest and move on learning more with each bass and keeping the ones that kill. As an owner of two Modulus basses (and 20 others) how could I say anything about someone else discovering the magic of graphite? I'm even pondering putting a Moses neck on my G&L.