1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

..BUT - It's a great opportunity . .

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by salsabajo, Apr 20, 2004.

1. HEY - We've all had those offers from club owners / promoters / producers that ask we take low pay with the chance to make BIG BUCKS in the long haul. After 25+ years of pro gigging I still hear it time and again - and when I'm stupid enough to take one they NEVER pan-out financially.

QUESTION - Have any of you fellow bassists had one of these actually pay off? There's got to be a success story or two out there -

Cheers!

Pat Smith
    Minneapolis

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Just follow the money...

If an opportunity came up that was low paid I might consider it if everyone involved was contributing their time and services pretty much for free. However, if the promoter is raking in 90% of the door fee and the bar is making a killing on drinks, it's not worth it. So, doing a show for free for a charity event is okay (as long as I'm sure that the money the audience put in is not being misdirected) but working like a dog for future opportunities while others are taking the cream off the top is just not worth it.

Wulf