Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

But why aftermarket pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Apr 29, 2001.

1. OK, on a cheap bass, I can understand it. Pickups are a pretty good upgrade. But why change the pups on a MIA Fender, or a Warwick or whatever?

I mean if you don't like the stock pickups, why not get a different bass?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The pickup on my MIA P-Bass is simply the best sounding passive P-type pickup I've ever heard. I'd never change it!

-robert

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Because the MEC p/u's IMHO aint much good.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My Carvin LB could use a pickup/onboards upgrade because it doesn't sound all that great without other instruments, to my ears. But the build is impeccable and the finish/woods are visual knockouts, so I wouldn't want to give those aspects up.

Sort of like CS said.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hey. I just put pups from an American Standard P on my MIJ P, and they are truly excellent. I'll bttt my post, and maybe you'll see it. It's called "Hey Andy! Hey Andy (Part II)" :) and outline my Precision pup experiences.

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    There's any number of reasons. For starters, the bass you have may feel and play just right, but needs some help in the sound department. I can give you 2 perfect examples:

My old Precision was just the way I liked it when the pickup just plain died on me. The neck was perfect, and the bass had the kind of road-weary character that wasn't easy to find. I put a Bartolini in it.
    The mid-70's Ibanez instruments were known to use quality materials, and were well-built, but were weak in the electronics department. For much less than the cost of a real Gibson Flying V (I'm using guitars as the example), you bought the Ibanez, dropped in some nice high-end pups, and Voila! - Gibson sound and quality for much less cost.

In a third case, I've been toying with the idea of doing a mild Frankenbass with some pickups I have. For me, I'm buying the bass so I can use the pickups!

7. Andy are you not the guy that modified a Rob Allen with jazz bass pickups?

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Because I can. :) I have a Spector NS-5 CR & I got an EMG BQC 3 band preamp on it. I didn't like it. The BTC 2 band EQ that was in it was better.

It has EMG 40DC in it. I have 3 other basses w/DC in it so I ordered 40J to put in it. I just like to try new thing to see how the peices fit together.

My Warmoth Sadowsky clonew/EMG 40J's & Aguilar OBP-1 18V pre amp is right now my fav sounding bass.

My USA Spector I won't touch. I love the sound I get out of them even though right now I like the sounds I get from the Warmoth better.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ya took the words right outta my mouth.

I love the Streamer Stage I and II(the only Warwicks I really like at all), but would not want those cheesy pickups.

If I could afford to buy one of these, the first thing that I would do is slap some Barts in it.

10. I am indeed. But that ADDED functionality...I still kept the piezo.

11. That's kind of like selling your house because you don't like the paint.
    For me, the main thing is playability. If I have a choice between a superb player that could use some better pickups, and a superb sounding bass that plays terribly, I'll take the former.
    (Obviously, it'd be nice to find everything you're looking for in one instrument!)

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    So, does this mean you're confused why you opted for aftermarket pup's? :)

?

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Pups are the cheapest way to burn GAS, after strings ofcourse ;)

I can understand buying different pups,
    if you ever want to get a new bass, just go fishing for nice feeling and acoustically nice sounding bass and slap your old high-quality pups on when you get home. One part less to be worried about.

14. Nino-Brown & Co.,

I added electromagnetic pickups to my Rob Allen so that I could play it through a small bass amp. The piezo just doesn't work through a BXR25, for example. So when accompanying an acoustic guitarist or lobby pianist, I can now get the punch I need. In my experience, the bass needs a high powered full range amp to sound good with the piezo.

However, I still retain the original sound which is great when running through the PA.

To me this is just like adding a D tuner, or a tremolo to a hardtail guitar. extends functionality.

What I was wondering is why do people buy a bass an then immediately change the pup because they don't like it. I got some good answers to the question.

Andy

15. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    ebellisher: Warwick gives any buyer the oportunity to choose between MEC, Seymour Duncan or Bartolini Pickups..

David

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Really? I thought that they had discontinued that option.

Obviously, you would have to custom order the bass that way, and I'm sure it only applies to the Streamer Stage models. Of course, as I said, if I wanted a Warwick that would be the one would get.