Butchered Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ii7-V7, Dec 30, 2005.

1. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    It sounds gruesome....It is!

I'm doing some set up work on my new SX Bass. I'm trying to remove the nut but it won't budge. So, now after trying to pry it out I've managed to completely destroy the existing nut without removing it. The plastic on the nut is so soft that when I try to tap or pry it out it ends up just chewing up the plastic, but the nut stays put.

What to do?
  2. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    I have difficulty removing these nuts too. Would a small file work to remove the remainder of the nut?

There must be an easy way to remove nuts that are jammed into the fingerboad.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I generally take a small jewlers screwdriver and pry it up. I used to use an xacto knife until i cut the heck out of my thumb. It is still numb in one spot... So BE CAREFUL!!!
  4. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    Builder: ThorBass
    Presumably the nut is glued on, so the normal procedure would be to first soften the glue by heating. But without knowing what the nut is really made of there's the risk (however small) that it will start to melt before the glue softens. Depending on how much of the nut is left at this point I would either try carefully heating it and pry it off as the glue releases, or just file the rest of it away.
  5. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, I got it out with a coping saw and a square bottomed file.

The material was so soft that I doubt I could have heated it.