1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Butchering a Pedulla MVP5.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Asomodai, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Hey guys.

I aquired a beat up Pedulla that used to be Poks a year ago, its been my main player.

However I HATE Bartolinis and P-J setups, I tried to sell it, but no one wanted it, so i decided to sort it out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plans are to strip it, Rout out the Jazz pickup hole into a MM size. Replace all of the electronics. Refinish it (What colour i dont know) And replace the logo.

I am unable to get a new Pedulla logo because Pedulla refused to sell one to me, so it will be logoless which is a crying shame frankly! ( I lack the skill to be able to keep the current logo)

I have already bought an EMG P5 Pickup, EMG BQS Pre-amp and Schaller 3D Bridge in BLACK.

Further parts to buy would be an EMG MM5-TW.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres the bass with the current hardware removed.

Preliminary sanding, measurements and routing have begun. I have never routed anything out before so this could be interesting!

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Clean the headstock very carefully, take a very high resolution photograph of the logo portion, play with it in photoshop, get a waterslide decal made from it and when you're done, apply the decal as per many threads on this site...

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Many good production decal makers on ebay, such as "Dec-Art" who has a great rep, and makes great decals for around $12 each...not inkjet type. You might want to check some out, they may already have the logo on file.

4. no one wanted a Pedulla? I'll take it :cool:

5. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    To late! Already bought half the parts i needed!

I cant afford the Ultralites and EMG MM pup at the moment, have to wait til some of the old hardware sells.

6. well I can help you out with the ultralites and any other hipshot stuff you may need :) PMd about the preamp and bridge

7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Ouch.

Lonnybass

8. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Bridge is already sorted. I just need the tuners and a EMG MM5 TW.

9. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Wait...this is like a $4K bass, isn't it? WTH?

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I liked it all beaten up.. That's just me though.

11. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    oh no!!! I miss that bass lots. but hey, whatever floats your boat :) Let us know how it turns out

12. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    on the used market i'd say its only worth 800-1000 max because of it's condition and age

13. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Sanding complete! I used a heat gun couple with the end of a fine chisel to get the most stubburn areas out, and fine sanded it. Not perfect, but not bad for a first try! Looking to fill a set of tuner holes in next!

[​IMG]

No more Pedulla Logo :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    nice looks good, id keep her natual if at all possible.

15. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    wow, i always wondered what the wood looked like under there...i'm glad I subscribed to this thread!

16. Maybe just maybe, it's his bass, and he is doing what's best for him?

That aside, wow, looks good natural!
    you can really appreciate the neck-through body with that.

If you stained the body wings dark and left the middle as-is, and put some clear on it, yum...
    Though I suppose that with the work you plan, that would not be possible.

17. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    I like the idea, but it would only look good if the neck was 3 peice tbh.

My idea of a good colour is far far removed then most peoples.

Still deciding on colour, Adding Hot Magenta to the list :)

18. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I wonder if Pedulla would sell you a replacement decal if you sent them a link to this thread. At least it proves you're not putting it on a fake...

19. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    They seemed pretty adamant they just dont sell them. Or Are unable too. I guess i have to cut my losses at this point. At least the serial numbers still there!

However if i sent the bass to Pedulla to do a refinish they would be able to "sell" me one.

20. I love that grain, please do a transparent finish!!!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020