1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Butter Cream Yamaha BB414

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz3625tonic, Mar 27, 2009.

1. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    A few years ago at the Austin summer NAMM show I was looking around in the Yamaha booth and put my paws on a Butter Cream BB414. It was a great color on this model and I tried to buy it but someone beat me to it. I have been looking for one ever since. I see that Bass NW has a white one but it's not the same. Does anyone on TB have or seen one of these?
    I also have a post in the "wanted" ads looking for one but I just thought I might reach the masses better here. :help:

2. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    I've seen the Vintage White 414's...

You sure we're not talking about the same finish? If not, I'd LOVE to see that!

Buttercream - mmmmmm... it's not just for wedding cakes anymore! :D

3. jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Well, at Bass NW they have one that they call Vintage white but they told me that it is more like Olympic White. The one at the NAMM show that I had my hands on was in fact the same color as the famed Musicman Butter Cream color. That is what I'm looking for... it may have been a "one off" but that is what I'm trying to find out.
    Maybe I just need to get the White one at Bass NW and take it apart and shoot it with a Butter Cream color. :) But someone out there has the one I had in my hands.

4. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Have you seen Glenn Hughes' new signature model? Very Cool...

5. jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Very cool indeed! Do you happen to know where I can get any info on this bass? :hyper:

6. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    I'd check with your local Yamaha dealer.

I recently ordered a BB415 (Orange Metallic! :cool:), and when I was looking through their catalog I saw it. Strangely enough, bigger retailers (Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, etc.) don't seem to carry (or even offer) them. But I did see it in the latest catalog, so it must be available.

I'm not sure of pricing or any other details, but hopefully a dealer should be able to help you out.

Here's some 'GAS inducing' :smug: info directly from Glenn (courtesy of a fellow TB member's interview with him):

"So you have a new signature series bass guitar & acoustic guitar through Yamaha now? Are you happier with the current bass than some of your past signature models and will it be going to production anytime soon?

You know before I could just never get the level right with my effects pedals. I’m using the Digitech Bass Synth Wah & also a Robotalk pedal. Very similar to what Bootsy Collins was doing in the 70’s….now I’m doing that a lot, it’s kinda like my signature. So I needed a bass that had effective passive pickups. Manne never quite got it right & Yamaha approached me 2 years ago, so I went to their booth at NAMM & they made me a really good offer. It took them a good year to get half a dozen basses made that I approved. They took measurements & sounds from my ’62 Jazz Bass & my ’65 P-Bass then made me a bass with a ‘62 Jazz pickup & a ‘65 P pickup…it replicates the sound. It’s possibly the greatest rock/funk bass you’ll ever hear – it’s been great to me! They’re going to release limited edition basses with myself & Marco Mendoza. Maybe in the next 6 months or so, but that’s the latest I’ve heard from Yamaha.
    "

Here's the link to the thread, too:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6083734&postcount=1

7. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I am glad I opened this thread...that Signature Yamaha bass sounds like the perfect p/j combo and with a maple fingerboard ! That just went to the top of my GAS list.

8. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Mr. Ray,

"Glad I could help!" or "My apologies for the GAS."

Whichever one applies here... :D

9. jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Great info. Thanks!!!