Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Butternut?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gruuv, Jun 20, 2005.

1. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I've seen references to butternut for a body wood in a couple of posts. It is apparently in the walnut family, and I LOVE walnut for a body wood. Anyone who's had experience with it want to impart some wisdom to me on this stuff? Any comparisons to walnut tonally?

Oh, and I tried the search function but didn't find anything too extensive. . .

Thanks in advance :help:

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I had a "butternut yellow" 67 chevelle...Sorry man, I'm no help!

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  4. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Well. . . what was the tone of the chevelle like? Loud, low and growly I presume?

;)

5. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Thanks man. . . reading it now. Interesting stuff!

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Nope...
    Stock 283/Powerglide, just a cruiser with alot of rust, realized that without good welding/body/panel replacing skills it was going to cost too much to fix it up "right".
    The guy I sold it to promptly dropped a 454 in, shortly thereafter had to replace the trans and rear end. The cam in it now is so pissed all the bondo the guy slapped on it rattled out!!

7. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Yikes! A the older brother of a friend of mine had one when we were in high school. He got several tickets for noise pollution :eek: and had to be careful with on gas all the time. That beast would spin and wag the rear end going 50 mph if he'd punch it. . .