Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buttery, loose feel

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Alex Scott, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I played on a Dan Hachez bass, and an old Italian bass that both had this really nice, buttery feel, where the notes really seemed to resonate very well.

It seems like some bassists try to loosen up their bass by raising the saddle, but there does not seem to be consistency in the way that affects the tone and feel of the bass.

What I am wondering is, in the experience of the luthiers on this forum, and players who have gone through changes, do you think that having a really thick piece of ebony for the fingerboard or a greater overstand or angle of the neck would make a difference, or is it maybe just the flexocore strings that feel that way?

Thanks

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Everything makes a difference. Some Basses are tighter than others no matter what you do. Each Bass has its own 'sweet spot' range where it feels and plays best. Find the best set-up guy in your area and discuss your Bass with him. Old Italian Basses are relaxed form all the years and Hachez is one of the best makers of new Basses around. Lesser Basses and makers may not achieve the same results within a similar set-up.

3. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, I took my bass to a local luthier because I was having a little string hitting the fingerboard problem, and as he was removing some wood from my fingerboard, and having me try every few strokes of the plane, I kind of thought it was getting more buttery. More scoop in the lower positions seems to have this effect for me.

What do you think?

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I prefer less scoop and the strings in the nut almost touching the FB. I use Heavy Gauge Flexocors. This helps to have less scoop and nut height. Lighter strings move more and may need more scoop. It's a balance of all thaings including you and your strings, not just the Bass and its componants.

5. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Interesting because I use corelli 370's and was buzzing pretty badly, pizzicatto was the worst. I worry about the scoop a little, because I have never really had much and mentally prefer a very straight board. My board was almost convex, so I think it will be okay. If I hate it and need a new board, no problem, I will just ship it out to a really good shop and pay up for the quality. Did you get Arnold to put some fingerboards on?

6. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    well you have scoop now alex, :p .
    sandro wants to try my E string on your bass.
    it's a stark flexocor '92
    i'm having him add scoop on my E string too, but it has almost none so i asked him to add just a little, hopefully it will get rid of most of that buzzing......but hopefully i won't lose that bit of growl i have.

7. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    We will see, it will be an interesting and hopefully not too expensive experiment. Did you try it out?

8. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i played it a little but he wasn't done smoothing out the board, it still had the rough cuts from the plane. i could still get it to rattle but if i payed attention to the angle i plucked th E string at i could get it to sound clean too......it was much cleaner sounding than my bass which has almost no scoop, and therefore i have alot of noise which is most likely what you're problem was too.

it's hard, setup is always a compromise.
    do you always have you string height that high?

9. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    oh boy, I am pretty much a 4 mm to 7mm guy, sounds like I'm going to be in the market for a new fingerboard

10. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i wouldn't start stressing just yet.
    he had the strings up real high when i was in there because he was looking at how the string was vibrating. once you bring the height back down i'm sure it will be fine......if you have a low height then you have to have some good scoop or it's gonna be noisy. definately play it for few weeks to get used to it and then see how you really like it.

i was wondering if you kept your string that high because i thought i had mine kinda high and then played your bass that way......i was thinking is this guy hercules or something?

11. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    no, I actually think I get a lot less sound when the strings get much higher, kind of like it starts choking my bass.

12. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    do you have your bass yet alex?

13. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    maybe tomorrow, I have been out of town. I'll let you know

14. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i went to get my bass yesterday.
    he kinda left your bass as is waiting for some instruction for you. all he needs to do is the final finish of your fingerboard though. he said he tried to get in touch with you but no luck, you should call him tomorrow.