1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Butting heads about the sound

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Rockman, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    So a band mate keeps writing and recording songs for us to play. Now I don't particularly have a problem with it except for how it sounds. I dunno theres just something about it that make me want to turn it off the instant it starts playing. Heres an example http://reactorsmlc.org/band/Zack/CCB BBD/Father of the Year.mp3

So yeah tell me what you guys think

2. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    First off this isn't really my thing... but I don't have a problem with the sound of it. That being said, some of the sounds are "demo-ish".
    Unless you guys play to tracks or he wants to release it as is, I see no problem. Go listen to old Beatles demos and you'll hear the beginning of insanely great songs in their raw form.

3. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Well, it may be a bit mid-heavy. Lacking a bit in the low end bass presence that I would expect to hear in this style. More importantly it lacked the sizzle of the upper register, especially on the vocals. And it also seemed as if the lead and backing vocals were EQ to similarly.

But, for a home recording it ain't bad at all. It takes much practice to get good at this stuff, seems like he's off to a decent start. I'd say let him keep rolling at it he will get a more polished sound as he get more practice.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Ya when the vocals kick in I bailed ...

5. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    When you play this live does it sound the same or better? The aural impression is demo track, rather than a master. The vocals could be clearer, with perhaps a bit of ambience/room, and the backgrounds lack a little depth, too. Over all (even though I'd prefer singing to rhyming) the groove is nice. Another thing I'm hearing is that the horn patch sounds a little chintzy. I'd like to hear either more interesting processing, or an actually laid-down real trumpet line.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021