1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buttkicker Power Amp, Not Speaker!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by john nam, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Has anyone used the Buttkicker Power Amp? It's 1100 watts at 4 ohms, 25 lbs., RCa RCA and 1/4" inputs with 160mVolt and 1.25 Volt sensitivities, which is why they say musicians do not need a preamp. All this for $329. Is this too good to be true? Can I just plug my bass straight into this power amp without having to get a separate preamp? Will I need to use my DI?

More info at:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...er-Amplifier?sku=482261&src=3WWRWXYB&ZYXSEM=0

2. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    It appears that the 160 mV sensitivity is for the RCA input while the 1/4-inch input requires 1.25 volts, so a preamp would be needed for the 1/4-inch input. In any case the amp is designed to amplify frequencies only in the range from 5-200 Hz, so who knows how it would sound with a full range signal?

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1, and too good to be true. I'd pass.

4. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=DCM1000

1000 watts bridged into 4 ohms, 23 pounds, $349. Full-range frequency handling, and well-proven platform.

Or available on their ebay store for $299:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-DCM1000-...sidZp1742.m153.l1262?_trksid=p1742.m153.l1262

Or, the DCM1500 (1500 watts bridged into 4 ohms) for $349 at the ebay store:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-DCM1500-...sidZp1742.m153.l1262?_trksid=p1742.m153.l1262

No, I don't work for Carvin. ;) Just that there's a good amount of low price / high power poweramps out there that are proven to work great for bass.

Used, you could find these for even cheaper, of course.

Cheers,
    Liam

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    We sometimes use one of those amps to power a 2x15 sub in our system (when we need a sub, which isn't often) - it has a low pass filter. Works quite well, but that power rating seems a little...optimistic.

6. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    A drummer friend of mine uses a Buttkicker system on his practice kit. He has gone through 3 of the power amps in one year. They just randomly go out and they keep sending him new ones. The guy knows how to take care of gear, so I don't blame him. It would make me think twice about getting one.

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    We have one of these at my church , but we use to power the platform so the bass player can feel the drum kick, I am thinking get one for my house and use it with my home teather to shake the couch. I think this amp is more to make you "feel" the bass. I dont think it can reproduce all spectrum of a bass guitar frequencies.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    There are so many stereo bridgeable power amps out there in that price range why go with something with so little versatility?

Paul

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Yeah - these are "sub" only amplifiers.
    You'll find similar class-d amps for home theater and car audio that can only do low frequency audio.
    But the full range ones are getting cheaper all the time and just a better idea.

10. What I've learned with power amps, is that you don't want to go "too" cheap. Take Gem Sound for example. They have "high powered" amps for like $120. My last band bought one just to run the monitors. Not a loud band at all. The amp kept overheating, clipping, and shutting down. The fan was noisy. The thing never had loud volume, and it would start to distrort at around 4-5. Piece of junk.

I'd go with "musical" power amps that have industry experience, as well as ones that people have used in the same context you will be using it - that way there are no surprises.

Carvin does make a decent amp for cheap. I like my QSC amp as well. There's a bunch out there in various price ranges - but stay clear of "too good to be true" ratings/prices.

11. I know it isn't the case here, but for anyone else looking at cheap power amps. Always be sure to check the output power.

I've seen a lot of instances where you're cheap end no name power amps have the power consumption listed (as its always a bigger number)

12. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Not even made for bass guitar. Heck, MF only gives it 2 1/2 stars before it even gets any buyer reviews (typically they seem to give most things 5 stars to begin with so the 2 1/2 rating doesn't inspire much confidence). I wouldn't bother, probably has not musicality whatsoever.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Good for a kick drum as far as I've heard.

14. Thanks everyone for your helpful input, I'm going to skip the buttkicker. You guys just saved me some money.

15. That doesnt happen often around these parts!