Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buttkicking EHX fx !

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AllodoX, May 23, 2002.

1. woah !

tried some cool pedals today..

EHX tube zipper
    EHX Doctor Q
    EHX Holy Grail
    EHX ' the worm '

cool stuff ! my wishlist is expanded once more :D

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well "Al" whatta they do??? Don't leave me hangin.:p

3. EHX tube zipper - weird stuff.. cannot really describe it.. you can make frog-like sounds with it..
    EHX Doctor Q - envelope filter
    EHX Holy Grail - reverb
    EHX ' the worm ' - autowah / tremelo / vibrato / phaser combo pedal.. VERY nice

4. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Was any of the effects bass friendly?

5. EHX ' the worm ' - Analog multi effect, everything is basically based around the same filter and low frequency oscillator. Pretty darn useful.

EHX Holy Grail - What a reverb, gets the best lush sounds.

EHX Doctor Q - That is one sexy envelope filter, uh. It was made for the bass imo, even retains the low notes to create deep, fat, bassy filter sounds. When used with an octave it gets the best 70's quacking filter sounds.

EHX tube zipper - Tube Distortion and Envelope Filter together in one box, sounds like the plastic toy robos I played with when I was a kid. Remains very smooth (thanks to the tube envelope filter) You can create impressive sweeps with it and the down mode is better than most filters.

6. I hate you all SO much, I need SO many effects, but I have...uh....$5.37 to my name:eek:

*needs a job*

7. So do I, we don't help all that much introducing all these strange and exotic effects, does anyone remember when they were just happy with BOSS or DOD?

:p :D

8. EHX effect boxes are very bass friendly.. at least the ones i tried kept the lows in very well

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have always said the EHX are the best for me

the Bif Muff is a great unit for bass too.
    they have the best octaver out there too the octave multiplexor

10. Russians know their stuff.. good tanks, good nukes, good women and certainly good pedals ! :D

11. Well you know I am all about down mode. The sounds I've heard of the Zipper just sounded silly....you like it tho'. Would this box be anything I'd want to consider as a serious filter for me?

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I want the tube zipper. It sounds so hilarious. Way out there.

13. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I Know I am resurecting an old thread, but I am really interested in the WORM, and I wonder if anyone has any real experience with it. I am serious about low end, and if it kills the lows, I may not be so interested. For $99 it sounds like a bargin the reviews on harmony-central are mixed. I am looking for a decent tremelo sound. And my phaser dissapeared to NC with my best friend.

14. A decent analog EV filter like a Mutron III can do well in copping some of those phased/chorus type sounds. A touch-sensitive phaser would be totally cool IMO. Worm might be ok, I dunno.

15. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    My peavey bass fex has a half decent envelope filter and my dod fx-25 (I know you appreciate that pedal) so with both of these, its kinda not worth it for me. I think the dod fx-25 is a great envelope filter. Its got the crazy dub tone, and its a good dirty sounding EF too. I tried boss's auto wah, and its lacking warm tone it sounds so pristine. I cant really afford a real mutron right now. My peavey bass fex has a half decent envelope filter so with both of these, its kinda not worth it for me...Maybe I will keep looking for a deal though. I wish the worm had "touch" activated effects but from what I gather, its on a timer circuit and only the wah works like an envelope filter.

16. Once you finally score a Mutron you'll wonder how you ever lived w/o it. they are very versatile and well work the $200 or so price tag. I have others too but couldn't gig w/o mine.

[​IMG]

17. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I tried the worm today, and it sucked for bass. Maybe a decent studio pedal. There wasnt enough effected sound to cut through a mix. Have to rely on the wall wart too. The auto/manual switch changes from timer-speed circuit to using the range knob to control the effect (like a wah with the pot on the face of the unit). If I would buy it, I would modify it to use with a home made expression pedal and make it like a foot controled wah/phaser and then probably hook up a switch so that the expression pedal controls the speed knob in the auto mode. There is no envelope control in the pedal.

18. Well, good to hear about the Worm anyway..No envelope control...dang. We need more pedals with this feature IMO. Touch sensitive effects like my Mutron or Prunes+Custard rule for bass.