Buttload of midrange wanted.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, May 8, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I wants butt loads o midrange. i was considering some basses, and wanted to hear some feedback on ones that have alot of midrange. lower mids, mids, high mids, You get the idea. you know that "Pong!" Sound? yeah,,, that. I was playing an EDB Yesterday, and it had quite alot. Budget was in the 500$-700$ range. Or, i thought of just going to heck with it and getting a rick. So here's some basses i was thinking of, throw some at me, and your views. I want an ALL midrange bass. so, i wouldent care for the MM. i know what they sound like, their just not what i'm looking for. more like something with a neck and bridge pickup.

Ibanez EDB 600
    Ibanez BTB (7 something, the one thats in the natural Mohgany)
    MIM P-Bass Special
    Or, to heck with the price budget and get a rick 4001.
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok..... But how about a explaination.. why the rick? what do you like about it?
  3. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I can get any tone I want out of my RIC!Notes stay in pitch all up the neck.Stays in tune great.I hardly ever have to tune it.
  4. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    WAL! WAL! WAL!

See if you can find a used Wal bass around. They have loads of mids. Justin from Tool has a Wal. He got rid of his Ray because it didnt have the huge amount of mids he wanted. You could give Tool a listen for the sound Im talking about.
  5. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    How about a nice jazz bass with a maple fingerboard. Crank up those knobs and you will have a ton of PONG!

Listen to some Rancid or newer Bouncing Souls and you'll know what I'm talkin about!
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I know all to well about wal's. their my dream bass, but i cant afford one. how much do you think a used one would be? Tool is my favorite band, so i know Wal's have killer mids.
  7. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hmm...you cant afford a Wal right now so...Hmm I think a P bass or maybe even a J...or better yet a P/J combo! A rosewood fretboard would bring out more midrande, right? Im pretty sure maple accents treble and bass, right? Ahh...now Im confused!
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think someone (not me, BTW) at the Dudepit has an Ibanez "Lawsuit" 4001 Ric copy for sale...
  9. Ash Jazz bass with Maple fretboard. You can find a used MIA for under $600

Tons of mids, maybe a bit too much treble with the maple board, but that can be compensated for with the tone knob.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A Jazz with high quality pickups will give you more mids than you can imagine. Not quite like Wal, but for mids IMHO it's the next best thing.
  11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    My Peavey G-Bass has so much mid it can be hard to dial out when necessary. Extremely midrangey!
  12. Since you can't afford one of these:

Look for a Yamaha BB series bass. Nice mids.

Sorry couldn't resist posting a pic of my Wal! :D
  13. Yeah, what tonal qualities do each of the fingerboards have? I didn't see a clear answer.
  14. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, since you want 2 pu's and lots of mid I'd say go with an MTD Heir (or Grendel). You can't go wrong with those (lots of useable tones and great feel)and they are about the price you're looking to spend. At least that's what I'd do.
  15. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago

You could get a Tech 21 Acoustic DI (~$190 mail order). Has a sweepable mid knob and a mid level, plus the mid only overdrives. GREAT way to put mids onto ANY bass.
  17. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    L-2000 Tons of Mids
  18. Zoomboy, that Wal is gorgeous... I think I like Lowell Packham's TealBurst better... but still. Very nice :)

A Wal is also my dream bass. With my current financial situation I'm about a year and a half away from getting one, so it won't be too much longer.

I got a Rickenbacker 4003 to tide me over, though. I can coax a nice growl out of it by picking hard by the neck pickup. I can approximate Geddy's Power Windows sound by using silly-thin guage Rotos. Listen to earlier tool with Paul on his Rick... talk about mids!

Other thing is... a Wal can cover a lot of sounds, but I've certainly never heard a Wal ape a Rick! So... Rick now, Wal later. That's what I'm gonna do!

Anyway, PollyBass, you must have similar taste in sound to me. Trust me. Get a Rick. Actually, what I did is I rented it for a month, it had just came in and nobody had played it yet. I paid the rental fee, took it home, promptly fell madly in love with it, went back the next month and converted my rental to a lease. Since I did it after only a month, my dealer put all the money from the rental fee into the down payment, which was definitely nice. I had to lease mine to be able to afford it at this point - it's $1800 Canadian dollars but I've had it since February and I'm about half way done :)

At least go try one through a few different rigs. I really do believe you'll be happy you spent the extra money.

Good luck!

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pedulla ThunderBolt. The best, from bark to honk.