Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

button, button, who's got this button

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mdcbass, Feb 6, 2005.

1. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    This is a nice 3/4 bass with no maker or even country identification. I think the carving on the button is distinctive so if your bass looks like mine they may be related. This bass is for sale(see posting in classified)

Attached Files:

2. I've never seen a button like this. Could you post some front, back, sides and scroll/neck pictures too? Full on shots for the front and back?

3. mdcbass

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    I can post this picture for now and more when my supporting membership kicks in. Write me directly at mdcbass@juno.com and I'll send you more. This bass is for sale see-posting in classified

Attached Files:

4. Interesting looking bass. As you might know, sometimes a luthier will do something similar to that button area to cover a neck repair. From what little I can tell yours looks like it was done when the bass was made. I'm not a luthier....some of our pros will check in on this as well as Ken Smith who has alot of luthier type knowledge...am looking forward to seeing some closer pics and feed back from others.
    Great looking bass Man!

5. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    Looks German to me...

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Those shoulders remind me of a Claudot I recently played. Kinda bulgy and slightly out of proportion with the lower bouts. Very pretty bass.

7. Great figure on the back...in the picture I can't see if the purfling goes all the way across under that button. If it does, that makes me think French, but with the big outside linings, i'd think Tyrol or Bohemian, or even American. Machines, what little you can see, look French. How about a side scroll shot?

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    EDIT: middle age moment.

9. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have never seen a French Bass with Outside lining. I would be glad to see the first Geniune Frenchy with lining when you can send me/us the pics..

This Bass in question does have that wider outside Lining as seen on Hornsteiner, Prescott and English Basses as well.. Kind of a 19th century thing... I can't tell how old the Bass is because of the limited pics but looks shiny as if the Oil Varnish has been highly polished.. Nice back button though.. Even some Italian Basses have Lining like that.. not many.. but some.....

10. I've never seen one either....post one Z?

11. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    I used to own a bass that was supposedly french. I was told this by Kolstein so who knows? The gears were french and the shoulders were very sloped but I think those are the only significant identifiable characteristics. Sorry, no pics. What's relevant to the topic though is that it did have outer linings. I always assumed it was possibly bohemian but if there is a history of french basses with outer linings... maybe Kolstein wasn't far off.

12. mdcbass

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    I put two more postings in the bass for sale section and there are two pictures with each. Here, I have the current shiny varnish next to the original finish.

Attached Files:

13. mdcbass

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    I did some point and shoot though the f-holes.

Attached Files:

14. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I just looked in the FS page and the Rib Pic looks to be Sugar Maple. If that's the case, then this Bass is American/New England. The Back can be Big Leaf Flame or even German but the Ribs have checks like they would from hard (sugar) maple. The Bass does have a French Flavour in the Back but so do many German Basses. I think the maker had some 'pet' ideas when he made this and sort of made a 'mutt' designed Bass..

Here are 4 links of Basses with similar rib linings, German, English, Italian and American..
    http://www.worldofbasses.de/Instrumente_04/Neuner-Hornsteiner/Neuner.html
    http://www.worldofbasses.de/Instrumente_01/Gough/gough.html
    http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/MartiniBass/martini_bass_2.htm
    http://www.kolstein.com/instruments/bass/b1287/index.shtml

I wonder how old this Bass actually is. the 'over varnish' makes it hard to tell.

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Sorry Paul, I were confused....

16. I'm sorry...i'm starting to sound like Ken Smith! Sorry Ken!

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

My God Man ! Snap out if Paul ! Once you enter that black hole you'll never escape !

18. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Paul.. Bring you Bass here.. NOW.. Let's see if you really DO or CAN sound like me... POLISH up you Bow too.. You will need it !!!

OOPS..Sorry! You meant in posting here on TB, Right? "Never Mind"..(Gilda Radner...SNL)..........LOL....... She was great... I saw her in the Street one day (NYC).. crossing as I was comming out of NBC or RCA.. can't remember.. But she smiled at me and I smiled back...Made my day.. I was kinda young then...

But you Paul.. You old Hound... and me too.. We are not so young anymore..well.. I am.. but that's besides the point.......DZ is catching up too.. I have more Hair that him though.....

19. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    DZ.. You have a PM !!!.......And... you get a 'Time Out' .......lol

20. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

WHat ? Do i have to be 50 before I can join the club ?