Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buy a ATK-300 or a Epiphone Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lc12345678, Mar 10, 2005.

1. lc12345678

lc12345678

Jan 20, 2005
    hi there,
    i currently have a fender usa jazz bass but i'm looking for a good back-up bass. My options are 1) ATK-300 or 2) Epiphone Thunderbird. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    atk, with not a whole lot of competition IMO

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    ATK (I´m biased jajajaja)

The TB could be an option if the other to chose were...mmmm..... an Ibanez GRS200 or something.

4. Lulu

Lulu Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Belgium
  5. What kind of a choice is that?

Definitly ATK.

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Hands down....ATK

7. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I'm going with the Epiphone Thunderbird just because no one has pick him for there team.

The Thunderbird is a good bass and looks cool, but I don't think it makes a great back up bass. You have to fix the neck dive, if your arms are not long enough the reach for the F is hard. I have one but I don't hardly play it.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'll say neither because both are totally different from a J.

If I was to buy a backup (strictly for the purpose of a backup of a main bass), I would want it to be similar tonally to save problems.

I would say MIM J.

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree...the ATKs from what I hear are great but won't sound ANYTHING like your jazz. Do you want your back up to be similar sounding? If you don't care go for the ATK but if you do....check out the MIM Js or even Rondo Music for their J clones.
    -Bazz-

10. lc12345678

lc12345678

Jan 20, 2005
    I actually would like the back-up to be different (tone) than my jazz bass because I'd like a variation for songs + recording. I'm totally confident that the jazz will stand up to the the usual wear and tear of my madness. thanks for your feedback so far.

Kind of one sided so far (ATK). But i guess that means something...

11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    The ATK's EQ and coil switch actually pretty versatile, so you may be able to dial in a sound that sound Jazz bass-ish. With the Thunderbird, though, no dice.

12. probably a dumb question... but who makes the ATK-300 and what type of music would u use it for?

13. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    The ATK-300 was made by Ibanez in Korea from 1996 to 1999. Then they discontinued them. They are still making them in Japan, with few variations (like a J pup in the neck position) and diferent model number (ATK400 or something).
    So the only way to get a 300 is finding an used one.

I have a 305, the 5 sring version of the 300,. I play hardrock/metal the most of the time, but also like to fool around with Salsa and other Venezuelan and SouthAmerican music, and it fits very good. I think it´s all in your fingers.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    CaracasBass, I'd have to disagree with you. I'm sure the ATKs were first made in Japan, I bought mine in 96 or 97 (can't really remember) and it says made in Japan on it. I think they only started making them in Korea when the new models with added Jazz pickups and mahogany bodies came out.
    There were also American-made ATKs with an odd neck construction, but I'm not really sure when they were made.

15. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´m not claiming to know all the story, but I´m pretty sure (I´m reading it right now) that my 1-pup (no J pup) ATK305 says MADE IN KOREA.

That said, I forgot to mention the neck-thru ATK´s made in USA.

16. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Guess they were made both in Korea and in Japan, then? In the specs part of the ATK review in "Gitarre&Bass", one of the most popular German guitar/bass review magazines, it also said "Made in Japan". Do you know when your ATK was made?

17. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I tried to ID it when I bought it on Jan ´04 using the serial number, but it was impossible. I guess it was made between 1997 and 1998.

18. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I'd go with the ATK any day. I've got 4 of them and might have another on the way.

BTW, if anyone is jonesing, I just posted once of my ATK305's in the TB classifieds.

19. ATK, but as people said, wont sound like a jazz