1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buy a bass owned by CCR bass player?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgrackle, Nov 19, 2018.

1. 70's Stingray owned by Stu Cook of CCR

55 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. New Stingray Special

103 vote(s)
    65.2%
  1. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    So I have come across a late 70's Stingray owned by CCR bass player Stu Cook. Its a great looking bass, but as with all vintage instruments you dont ever know what you are going to get.

Or do I pick up a new Stingray Special, get a new bass with a return policy and save myself about $1,800.

Anyone own a famous bass?

EatS1stBassist and Ellery like this.
  2. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    Well, you know it's not going to have a lot of fret wear.

;)

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well, cant stand CCR. But I absolutely love 70's StingRays.

saabfender and SpazzTheBassist like this.
  4. What do you plan to use it for? If it'll live in your basement and get dug out for show and tell, get Stu Cook's. If you plan to gig with it, get whatever one you're comfortable with. (Betchya thought I was gonna say get a new one to gig with.) :roflmao:

5. ^ this

Caca de Kick and Cheez like this.
  6. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I'd gig with Stu Cook's if it plays well. What sucks is I can't demo his bass its not local. And I've had a 79 before, while it sounded awesome, it was like a boat anchor and the slab body is rough after a long set. Which has me leaning towards the Charging Green Special I have been eyeing up.

TN WOODMAN, HD007 and jamro217 like this.
  7. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I bought a Stu Cook bass. It was in good shape for having been taken around the world. I had to have the frets re-crowned and polished as there was heavy fret wear from the countless shows played on it but everything else was fine.

25i6nq1.

8. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I would love to have a Stu Cook bass but I wouldn't love to pay for it.

9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    lol how can somebody not like Creedence unless stuck in cover band hell? THEY ROCKED!
    this Ray isn't of Fogerty era desirability but must be a good one and maybe worth the extra $$

10. Creedence rocked bigtime!
    Ask anyone that grew up in the 70s, but I'd go with the newer stingray, and hang Stu's on the wall while singing "Doo, doo, doo, lookin' out my backdoor."

11. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I would pay extra to NOT own a bass previously owned by CCR.

smeet, mbasile, Dubsly and 9 others like this.
  12. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I don’t think the CCR bass is worth more than or sounds better than a new SR.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  13. It wouldn't make any difference to me whether a bass had been owned by Stu Cook or not. I like CCR, but it's not like Stu Cook is one of my heroes. I would also wonder about provenance. How do I know this was really Stu's bass? If the seller can prove it, okay, but otherwise I would be suspicious.

14. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    As long as it includes the Creedence tapes and business papers.

15. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Buncha very rude people here. My take is even though it was owned by a famous muso, I would go with whatever you feel most comfortable playing out with. I dont believe Stu played Rays often (IIRC, he was mainly a pbass guy), so the association factor is less IMO.

Uncle Hanky, MCF, Ekulati and 17 others like this.
  16. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I love CCR.

What was this thread about again?

Oatis, Dasgre0g, fritzk9 and 11 others like this.
  17. I would judge based on those instruments merit alone. Just can't understand wanting a bass played by anyone unless it was a close friend or family member.
    My question to the OP. with that pair of mtd's...
    Why not just go for the better bass whether it a new, old?(only if it's significantly better overall)
    After a year will you still care who the previous owner was if its doesn't stay in tune after a full setup? New, you can return in 30- 45 days. The rockstar bass could appreciate over time I suppose but still... Is that it? As an asset investment? You'd be a ahead of the "credence clear water revival" revival wave.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Williethump likes this.
  18. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Get a Fender. ...

19. Buy both. :D

Hand slap, Ghastly, Corbusier and 3 others like this.
  20. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    Who hasn’t had a bass owned by Stu? Should have seen his Modulus’s.