Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buy a Christopher 300 or 400?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by anaphraselag, Jan 12, 2006.

1. anaphraselag

anaphraselag

Jan 9, 2006
    I've only been playing the DB for six months but I've decided purchase my own bass. I've been looking at the Christopher hybrid and 400 series fully carved basses. There seems to be a lot of info on here that suggests the hybrids are decent but I can't find anything on the fully carved. The difference in price is about $400. Should I bite the bullet and go fully carved or will the hybrid be good enough? Also, I will be playing both jazz and orchestra so what type of setup should I go with?
    Thanks,
    Kris

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I have a 300 series and it is a great bang for the buck. If you're gonna be doing a lot of arco though, $400 should be a smal price to pay for the rewards of a fully carved instrument. I haven't tried a 400 series though. On the 300, the arco is quite impressive for the price! Make sure you get it properly setup too!

3. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I have a 400 series. If its only gonna cost you an extra $400
    for it thats what I would do. The best strategy would be to go
    play and inspect them side by side, when I was buying I
    did not have that option.

My bass is now 2 years old, and it just keeps improving in
    its sound. I look forward to my evenings when I have the
    time to play it :)

Looking 5 years or more down the road I suspect
    the fully carved will resell better too.

Good luck with your decision,

4. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I have had my 300 for almost exactly two years now and I am still happy with. I wish, however, that I were in your shoes now so that I could have a 400 series for just a $400 price difference. Unless spending the extra $400 would force a little orphan out on the street, I say spend the money and be glad you did.

Good Luck . . .

5. Tanglehead

Tanglehead

Nov 27, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    I've had a 400 for nearly a year and haven't looked back.

Mine's a 7/8 401T and I've had compliments on the tone and depth from an orchestral section-mate as well as the conductor.

Same thing playing jazz - with no amp - big tone, cuts through and the feel is what sold me initially.

I think $400 to move from the 300 to the 400 is money well spent and something you won't regret.

Good luck !

- Tanglehead