1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

buy a engagement ring on e-bay..... Crazy???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FatFunker, Oct 7, 2003.

1. I have just started looking at engagement rings, and the more i look the more confused I get.

I kind of understand the 4 c's but i am confused with the whole resale value thing. does this actualy mean anything?

I haven't visited any stores yet because i don't want to get attacked by the salesmen but i have looked at alot of webpages.

Believe it or not ebay seems to have the best deals by far. I'm talking dealers not individuals. I'm looking at spending 3 or 4 grand and for that price I can get around a 2 carrot with a retail price of 9 to $10,000.

I know i would not pay 10 grand for this ring in the store but it still seems like a deal.

now the real question, does anyone have any experience with buying rings off of e-bay? The dealer in particular has over 900 sales with 900 positive feedbacks so that in it's self say's a lot. but when i went to look at the items they sold it said all the auctions were closed, so I could not get specific details about the product sold or the prices paid.

Sorry for the long post, but I want this to be a special ring for the most important person in my life, who has stuck by me for almost 8 years:)

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer:D

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    As a recent purchaser of the same, I can totally relate to the salesperson attack, it sucks!

My advice would be, don't buy anything that hasn't been examinated, and graded by a reputable independent inspector, such as EGL, ect. Do some checking around online. Many of the inspection/grading labs are the same ones the local retailers use.

I'd consider finding a nice, lab certified ring online, and upon arrival, taking it to a local jewler for sizing, and an appraisal/inspection there as well.

Best of luck, and oh yeah.....congrats!