buy a engagement ring on e-bay..... Crazy???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FatFunker, Oct 7, 2003.

1. I have just started looking at engagement rings, and the more i look the more confused I get.

I kind of understand the 4 c's but i am confused with the whole resale value thing. does this actualy mean anything?

I haven't visited any stores yet because i don't want to get attacked by the salesmen but i have looked at alot of webpages.

Believe it or not ebay seems to have the best deals by far. I'm talking dealers not individuals. I'm looking at spending 3 or 4 grand and for that price I can get around a 2 carrot with a retail price of 9 to $10,000.

I know i would not pay 10 grand for this ring in the store but it still seems like a deal.

now the real question, does anyone have any experience with buying rings off of e-bay? The dealer in particular has over 900 sales with 900 positive feedbacks so that in it's self say's a lot. but when i went to look at the items they sold it said all the auctions were closed, so I could not get specific details about the product sold or the prices paid.

Sorry for the long post, but I want this to be a special ring for the most important person in my life, who has stuck by me for almost 8 years:)

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer:D
  2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    As a recent purchaser of the same, I can totally relate to the salesperson attack, it sucks!

My advice would be, don't buy anything that hasn't been examinated, and graded by a reputable independent inspector, such as EGL, ect. Do some checking around online. Many of the inspection/grading labs are the same ones the local retailers use.

I'd consider finding a nice, lab certified ring online, and upon arrival, taking it to a local jewler for sizing, and an appraisal/inspection there as well.

Best of luck, and oh yeah.....congrats!