Buy a Fender American Jazz from Music 123?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by c3scott, Dec 30, 2005.

1. c3scott

Dec 10, 2005
    They appear to be offering 10% off, which seems to be a good deal. I want a sunburst jazz w/ maple fretboard. None of my local dealers have had this bass in stock to play and they appear to be hard to come by. I know one should play before paying, but with their return policy, it may be worth checking out. Responses appreciated. Thanks
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Unlike some people, I have no problem with buying a bass online. Sure, it's better to try it out if you can, but if not, it's a pretty fair option. Most problems people have with basses they buy online can be taken care of with a truss rod tweak and resetting the action. Rarely is one an out and out dog.
  3. steve21

steve21 Banned

If you trust music123.

I've never had a problem with them, but some people have had REALLY bad ones.
  4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I got my Classic 60's Jazz from problems. In fact I did find a lower price and they came down.
  5. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I had a problem with them once - really messing up an order bad and delaying it for a long time. I won't get into the gory details.

But, I am told they *restructured* - including re-doing their warehouses somehow, so they're probably worthy of another chance. The prices are decent, and the return policy is reasonable. I'll probably try them again.
  6. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've bought a couple items from them, each under $50 and it went fine and I seemed to get the items relatively soon.
  7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I would go with them although I've had a few negatives myself. They sent me a blem Aguilar combo that was never supposed to be sold in the U.S. (wrong electrical rating) and had a few other problems. I've ordered a few things that were supposed to be in stock and I was never told they were actually back ordered. I don't fault them with the Aguilar deal because they rectified it right away and refunded my money. Yea it shouldnt've happened, but how they handle it speaks volumes. As for the things that were supposed to be in stock, stuff like that happens anywhere.

The only real inconvenience I had was I ordered an SKB case that was in stock, but because they were moving the warehouse at the time it took a month to get to me. Now that that's over, I don't see any of those sorts of problems with them.

I would just call and verify that the bass is actually in stock, their customer service reps are pretty helpful.
  8. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    My advice/experience for whats its worth. Do not buy any bass (apart from Sadowsky or Musicman) without trying it first. I have a beauty of a Fender Jazz but I had to try a few before I found the 'one'. Fender QC can be a bit variable.
    I appreciate that sometimes you cant always try instruments and if you cant then you'll have to take a chance. I'm lucky and have never been in this position. Good luck.
  9. i use the net to shop for, and price, basses. i then go to my local music shop, ask if they can match the price, they say yes, i order it through them. they call me when it arrives.
    i play it, if i like it, they do a free set-up. if there are any problems, they stand behind it. not a phone operator.
    support your local music shop. unless you like the madness at Guitar Center. :cool: