Buy a MIJ Natural Jazz w/ enlays for $400 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Yes, buy it!

8 vote(s)
  2. No, you can get the same thing in better shape elsewhere.

3 vote(s)
  1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I found this bass for $500 at guitar center. It's got a bunch of dings in it and the nut is broken. They say that they will knock off $100. I asked if they would do $360, and they declined. Should I buy it at $400? It's a cool looking bass in spite of the damage, and I really want a natural Jazz.
  2. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Get some pressure going, 350 cash flash right there...salesmen cant think straight in the presence of greenery. nothing to loose if you might buy it for 400 anyways. goodluck
  3. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Is it a '75 reissue? It sure sounds like one. Does it have a bullet truss rod adjuster in the headstock? Bound neck with mop block inlays?

Boomerang is right - try to ge them to come down on the price, but $400 for a MIJ 75 reissue that's essentially lightly used isn't a bad price.

4. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    a natural ash - so probably polyurethane which is a bit harder to fix dings - not like a nitro lacquer which you can melt back into itself.

but that is for later, natural swamp ash should weigh at least a little less than alder bodies - a MIJ may be a different quality/grade of wood (?) so if it is a heavy one. . . well it's up to you, but use that to bargain with them.
  5. I sold one in excellent condition with case and tortoise shell pickguard (instead of the black) for $400. Nice bass for the dough.
  6. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    That's great and all, but Fender charges ~$100 more in the Am Std line for natural/ash body.

I still think it's a good deal, if the rest of the bass is all right.

Aside: This board is fun to read, but I swear, we goad each other into buying things.

In the past 8 months I have purchased:
    Jay Turser MM copy - sold

Ibanez ATK 300 - love it.

Fender MIJ 75 reissue jazz - love it, esp after Gary Brawer's fret mill job.

Fender MIM Fretless jazz - realy digging it, but the jury's still out on the flatwounds, and I have to install the pickups I bought for it.

Before this, I had my Heartfield DR5 and my Peavey Foundation fretless for about 9 yrs without any thought to new gear.

Now I've got incurable GAS!

7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    LOL - 81 views and two votes, 1 yes, 1 no. I need to figure out a way to ask my questions in a more interesting manner.
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    play the bass plugged and unplugged, if the nut allows you to do so. then decide. and pretend a new nut and new strings for 400$

good luck and let us know, gabu;)
  9. If it's cool looking - and you can live with the dings, if it plays nice and you like the feel and sound of the bass plugged and unplugged. And you think it's a good enough price go for it. But I agree if you're gonna pay their asking price see waht you can get thrown in - strings, new nut or maybe a free setup sometime in the future.

If they're setting a fixed price - then you set the conditions!! Otherwise they know that you'll walk away!!!

It may also be worth a try taking $350 in cash in and waving it as suggested above!!! If they don't bite - put it back in your wallet and walk away (a salesmans worst nightmare is to see cash walk out through the door! )

Good luck in your haggling!!!
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would ask them to throw a nut replacement in. If the nut's damaged, the basses usability is very much compromised. Dingfs don't worry me much. I've seen the 75 reissue and played it in a store and it'a a very handsome bass. Sounds great and well made. You will be happy with it I predict, and the price is good.

Johnny, is that a red 2002 ZX-9R I see in your sig? I've got a buddy who's got the same bike, and I ride a '95 GPZ1100. Stay safe!
  11. I voted buy it. From the way you're talking, Gabu, I don't think the dings bother you that much. If all that it needs is a nut, I'd say jump on that devil! Try though to haggle down the price a wee bit more, just for the principle of it. They dropped $100.00, they might drop it a little more.

Good Luck,
    Mike J.
  12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks guys. I think I might have gotten a better condition one for the same price if I was patient... But that's a tough thing for me. ;)

This sucker plays real well and sounds great. I will put up some pix asap. :D
  13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Congrats Gabu, I like the look of those naturals too. Enjoy.
  14. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks! :D It has become my main bass. :) Lately I have been taking it and my Steinberger.

Also, I lost my digital camera, but if I ever find it I will put some pix up. :)