Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buy a new bass or ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garry Goodman, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I was curious,in today's economy,the price of gasoline etc. what you would do if someone gave you $4000.00 tax free dollars. It could be a gift or whatever ,but it would be free and you didn't have to pay the money back.

Would you buy a new Bass or related gear?
    Head for Tahiti?
    Spend the money on what non-musicians would call practical things?

in essence I think I am asking "How important is having a new bass guitar in your life?"

Me-it's a bass,even before a new amp or my mortgage.

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    BASS!!

3. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    As much as I like bass and bass gear... I'd travel with the money.

4. Rayle_Trail

Rayle_Trail

Jun 14, 2004
    Brisbane
    I think Id do what Garry says and go to tahiti,
    And by tahiti I mean TEAHUPOO!!
    In my opinion the memories you would get from traveling are a bit more lasting then that of getting a new instrument.
    but then again, I do really really really enjoy a new bass! :D

Boogie woogie boarders rule!

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I love basses. Thats why we are on this board talking. I just bought my 4th Sadowsky on Monday. Its my 13th overall. Ive probably owned close to 100 basses and guitars in my life. Buy a bass

Rob

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would use $2,000 on bills and then get 55-02 or a SC/H Bongo 5. I would take $500 and get a nice Yorkville XM 210.

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Part of the cash would go to the MIA Jazz (Four string, Ash, Maple/Maple, Trans. Orange) I am GAS'in for. The remaining balance would go straight to my bank account.

8. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    So these are all good choices,you can do a few things with 4k.I wonder if you went to winter NAMM 06' and had the cash on you and were looking at gear,new basses on the last day and maybe could get a good deal on a bass...would it be easy to just "say no to G.A.S."?

9. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Half and half...

Half into my savings account...

And half put into my latest fetish...

My car :D

10. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd probably put 2-3K of it into a good CD or Money Market fund, and spend (or save) $1000 of it for gear.

That, or put it all in an IRA (Roth IRA for the younger TB'ers)...

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My wife and I are closing on a house next Friday. We're repainting the insides, putting laminate hardwood floors in the living room, and putting new tile floors and hardware in the kitchen, along with getting an island built that's around $2200. I went to Home Depot today with her, and we figured out that our total for everything will come out to around $5000.

All I could think of was "but I could buy so many nice basses with that!"

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Good luck with the house Bryan. I did the same a year ago. Had to curb my habit for a bit but now I'm back!. LOL

Rob

13. Mmmmmmmmmmm
    Basses :)

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'd commission a 15string bass...you know...one-upmanship! :D

- savings for me -

15. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Being that I have a kid on the way, it would most definetly be on something more practical now, but in any other circumstance, a new bass acquisition would be the answer without thinking twice.

16. Hmm...In my current state of G.A.S. I'd have Ken Bebensee build me a bass, even if it would take 3 years :D

17. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I agree, I would head back down to south america and enjoy the laid back life for a while.

18. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    from the guy that just dropped a chunk of his student loan on a new sterling.

BASS!!!!!!!

19. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Maybe i was low balling-how about if it was $10,000? Sneak a bass in somewhere? I used to go to pawn shops and find some cool basses,but how intense is the urge for a custom bass or that one high end production model?

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm done buying basses. I would spend it all on one hand of blackjack in Vegas, then let it ride until I was broke.