1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buy a new rig or keep the old one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blake Bass, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I am considering a new bass rig, and I'm wondering if the difference in my sound will be significantly noticeable enough to justify spending the money.

I am currently using a Eden WT-500 with a SWR 2x10 Goliath III and for larger gigs I pair it with a SWR 1x15 Son of Bertha (both 8 ohms). I use a Walter Woods (amber light) with the 2x10 for smaller gigs.

I am considering going to a Epifani UL 3x10 with a Thunderfunk head. (I'll keep the Walter Woods and maybe get a Epifani UL 1x12 for small gigs.)

I play in a wedding band, so we do a little bit of everything from jazz to country, hip hop to rock etc. My main bass is a Roscoe Century V.

My goal is to get more power, and a cleaner, tighter sound with a light weight rig.

So is it worth the $$$ to dump my Eden/SWR rig and go with the Thunderfunk/Epifani rig?

2. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    if lighter weight is a big concern for you, it's definitely worth looking into to... i'm curious why you don't want to keep the eden, not getting enough headroom from it?

i have a gibson gb440 (precursor to the thunderfunk) and it's a very nice amp, sounds great flat, very flexible eq, plenty of power for me... can be very clean or can be very warm with the right adjustments... still i wouldn't recommend buying one until you have a chance to try one out because there's no substitute for your own ears.

3. Blake Bass

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    That is exactly the reason I don't like the Eden. It sounds great but it is under powered for loud gigs. I also wish the Eden could handle a 4 ohm load in bridged mono mode. I considered the new WT-800 but it is pretty pricey compared to the Thunderfunk. I think Jivesound here in DC has T funk that I can try before I buy.

Is the gb 440 still in production? How much power does it have?

4. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    nope, they ceased production of them a long time ago... dave funk bought the remaining back stock of the gb440 from gibson and modded these amps. these modded ones were the first thunderfunks... seriously, if you go with a new thunderfunk (the 550b model) you'll have more headroom than i get out of my gb440... though the older tf420 and the gb440 are probably just about the same. the new tf should give you more headroom than your eden. do a search and you're bound to come up with a lot of info on the tf.

5. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    jive's okay... for a chicago bears fan :rolleyes: :D

seriously, tb-er jive1 who owns jivesound is a great dude, definitely take him up on trying out the tf.

6. Blake Bass

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    Thanks for the info. Wolfs. I did a search on the TF and now I have major GAS for one. Everyone here seems to like them alot.

7. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    it's a very flexible amp, but not everyone loves theirs... give it a whirl, it may be for you. the eq is really flexible and get a lot of tones out it so that really helps. best of luck.

8. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    I use a wt550 and two d112xlts EDEN .i very happy,i also have a cxc11- combo and a d210xlt,but i'm finding that i am useing the two 12s , i would consider something like that

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah, if you still like the eden tone, a wt550 will work better with the two cabs that the stereo wt500 you have now... Could find one 2nd hand