1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BUY A SHORTSCALE !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockscott, Oct 22, 2010.

1. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I have been playing bass for 30 + years, but i never owned a shorty until i purchased a viola a month ago. You can play things you never thought you could & you will find yourself exploring much more. When you do pick up your longscale, you will find working out on a shorty simply makes you a better bassist!

2. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    Can I get an Alleluia? :)

Love the shortscale too!

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've owned two, a '78 Musicmaster and a '66 Starfire. Nice basses, but neither one changed the way I play one iota.

musicmasterbass01-1.
    img01-1.

4. My first couple of basses were shorties, and I have played a couple that belonged to others, a Univox Mosrite copy and an EBO. They were all fine and easy to play. I was even able to get off some pretty fast riffs on the EBO, but I don't really believe it makes you a better baassist, it's simply easier to play. The first time I played a long scale bass, though, it just felt right, to me it was what a bass should feel like. I have nothing against shorties. it's just a matter of preference. I wouldn't be averse to getting one sometime in the future. It would depend on the particular instrument.

5. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Thats the only kind of basses I am able to play. I think they sound as good as full scale, and, yes, you can slap the crap out of them. I just got an awesome '66 Mustang and its the best sounding/playing bass I have owned; and I have owned a lot!

6. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've been wanting to try one of those violin basses from Hofner and was initially turned off by the shortscale...but I really want to try one and see how it sounds. If a good thump can be had, I would be in.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Ha, my first bass was a shorty, in 1976, been playing them ever since, ain't news to me!

8. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Here comes a namedrop, watch out: Jon Brion and I had once had a long discussion about how there's something unique about the way short scale basses record. It's very hard to put into words, but it has to do with my general bass concept when it comes to recording- that it's sometimes best to use a bass with limitations. I like short scale hollowbody bases with flats for recording because they occupy a very specific frequency range. When you mix, that bass track will usually just sit perfectly and you don't have to get into subtracting a lot of the frequencies that get in the way of your guitars and vocals.

9. A buddy of mine had an old Kramer shorty. It had an aluminum neck also. Very fun to play.

10. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I found my Musicmaster had a nice, I call it "vocal" quality that I attributed to the 30" scale. I can easily see someone getting hooked on that and making it their thing forever.

As for me, I found myself craving everything else the Musicmaster offered (vintage vibe, single-coil) in a deeper-voiced, full-scale version. Something about my pref's - I just like it deeper. (Even my split-coil P seems too mid-heavy for me, at least onstage.)

11. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    My Gibson SG faded re-issue is a great bass, lovely warm tone and so easy and light to play, nice tonal range too, always feels well made and balances well-great bass for me :bassist:

12. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Yessir, sir.

[​IMG]

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    These are honest questions with no offense intended.

Do you fret with that hand? If so, how does the short-scale make it any easier to play for you? Your hand appears to be of a normal size, so I would think that you could still comfortably stretch one finger per fret as in any other standard scale.

14. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Beautiful! :rollno: If you dont mind me asking..... How did you manage that one?

I only ask because I have been a sheetmetal worker for 23 years! :D

15. Judging from the responses here, I must be the odd one out. I have trouble digging in to a short scale. I have a Hofner Icon B, maybe it's really the feather weight that holds me back.

16. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    To my ear, the shorty and the Thunderbird are 2 very different sounds. The viola (with halfrounds) is a very warm sound, the Tbird is thunder & lightning!

17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'm in the process of building a short scale jazz bass (30") right now. Warmoth body and neck, duncan sj1 pickups, and everything else Fender AV RI. it's going to be lake placid blue, with a matching headstock (the pickguard is going to be parchment-not black as in the photo below):

bodyandneck-01.

18. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Wow, I didn't know Warmoth was doing short scale now. Cool!

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have about 10 basses and half are short scale. I enjoy both. I have also played upright bass... changing scale lengths is not hard.

20. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I think I'll nab a Mikro and string it ADGC a la