1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buy Aguilar db659 & ditch svt4/bddi?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arbitrary, Apr 15, 2006.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    So heres the deal:

I've posted recently about the aguilar db680 and 659 preamps and which to pair with my beautiful nv610

And it seemed based upon what everyone said, the 659 would better fit me (people claim it can get some dirt).
    The only sound I have to compare it to is a db750, which I did like, but I want more headroom. And I haven't heard the 659 at all.

So I found a 659 online at a price that I'm comfortable with.

Should I do it.....?

Will it sound better than my current svt4 pro bddi combo?
    I use the dbbi due to the ampegs lack of dirt and general weak (I feel) sound.

Thanks again

2. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    hmmm..maybe?

3. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    :confused: ...and the SVT4 gives you that?

4. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    except I feel like I've outgrown the svt4 and generally dislike it now.

5. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    If you do want the Aguilar, I would keep the SVT4 until you know if you are happy with the Aguilar. That is the best advice I can give you. I don't know though, this seems like a somewhat arbitrary decision.

I have never played through an aguilar, but I know that I am far from outgrowing my SVT4. Good luck on your decision.

6. Why not get the Aguilar preamp (im sure they have one?) and use the power section of your 4-Pro, that way you have a choice of sounds and plenty of headroom ?

7. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    so its crunch time....
    will it sound better?

It seems thats what I'll have to do until I'm certain that I like the aguilar more than the svt4...and switch between the 2.
    I'm curious if the aguilar sounds bigger than the 4pro.
    In the long run I'll have to either pick one or the other, but I guess it'll be good to have both in the meantime.

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    A Mesa 400+/Nv610 is anything but weak sounding, And will give all the dirt you want with lots of headroom.