1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buy an Amp Without Playing Through It First?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jgroh, Mar 7, 2008.

1. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    Bought my Thunderfunk here at TB from JoeySquid.
    Bought the second one from Dave himself.
    No regrets.

2. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA

If you're looking to go used, I'd start perusing the TalkBass classifieds. It's probably a safer bet than some other options, and you should be able to get more accurate descriptions of the gear (and anything wrong with it).

3. I bought a Berg NV610 without hearing it. I liked it so much I also bought the NV215.

I now have a TF750A on order and I havent heard it yet.

I'm confident its right for me because I know the sound I'm looking for. I think thats key. And thanks to this forum there is lots of input about almost anything bass out there.

And if I don't like the amp, I can return it, or sell it without a problem.

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    In the past few years I bought an eden wt 300, amp bh420, amp bh250, a gibson gb440, and a gk600 all sight unseen.

I was thrilled with all of them but 1, which turned out to be jsut a bit underpowered for my uses.

I'd say on TB you are in pretty good shape, though on ebay I'd make sure they have some feedback.

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

+1

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have. I'd played a bunch of Genz Benz stuff and liked it, and found the company to be very helpful so I had no worries getting both a NeoPak and a GBE750.

With my 400PS, I researched the amp and the seller had a good reputation on the Yahoo group. It's best to play first, but not always possible.

7. drcool

drcool

Jan 9, 2008
    Just bought an Ampeg SVT 2 Pro without ever playing one. I have read good recommendations on it and I have played other Ampeg tube amps and have really loved the sound. So I found a decent deal on Ebay and pulled the trigger.

I have been debating on what to buy for a few weeks but the options here in town are pretty lame so rather than stressing about it any longer I just pulled the trigger. I figured if I don't like it I should at least be able to sell it for what I paid or maybe more so the risk level was pretty low.

8. The nice thing about this site, is there are several people who can describe sound in a way that makes me want whatever they are talking about. That said I bought my YBA 200 just because of this site and have loved having it for over 3 years now.

9. I bought both of my Eden rigs without hearing them first. I had heard a little combo (CXC110 and loved the sound). But the Metro, D210XST, WT800C, D410XLT were all new to me.

10. DanoesqBass

DanoesqBass Bass For Life Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Omaha
    I recently wanted to upgrade amps and be done, after shopping around and then coming to TB, after much reading and rereading, I was happy to buy/try the Genz Benz neopak which were actually a step down in the class of power I was looking at...

Now I am a happy proud owner of 2 Genz Benz neopaks, a 212 and 112.

All from just reading not hearing the inputs of the good folks and marketing guys here on TalkBass.

ps: Amplifier G.A.S. is over!

11. evito

evito

Dec 17, 2006
    Antioch, California
    I recently picked up my new Aguilar rig without playing through it first. I bought the GS412 and the AG500SC and unlike Cheesewiz I was very happy with the purchase. I use to play Crate though so it was obvious that it would be a big upgrade to me. I am kinda scared to try a bergantino as I am pretty sure I would be GAS'ing hard for it if I did.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I got my GK Backline 600 head without trying it first. It had an unexpected preamp voicing, but I was able to dial in the tone that I wanted.

And I just got a EA Micro 300 head from the TB Classifieds! :hyper:

13. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    200 bucks for one of those ashdown ministacks and i couldnt resist... im lookin for a head and like its been said the mesa and carvin and even some gk stuff is reall hard to come by especially the 800rb

14. Is this another Mark Bass thread?
    LOL

15. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I dont even know where to begin with finding a new amp...I thought that maybe I would upgrade the cabinet first. I have a Hartke 410VX and with the Geddy Jazz, its almost a little too bright and punchy. I can EQ a certain amount of upper mids out, but what do you guys think is comparable in that price range (I paid $250 for that and can go up a bit) Avatar Neo you think? I dont want to spend a ton right now, but something that sounds good and I can keep for a while.

16. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    Years ago I was playing through a Hartke 5000 and a 410 XL cab. One gig we did the sound company provided the stage gear. They had an Eden WT-400 and a 410T cab. I was knocked out by how deep, warm and full the Eden gear sounded compared to the Hartke. 4 months later I had enough money and bought the Eden rig.
    Forward several more years and I decided a 90 lb cab was becoming no fun to move so I picked up two Epifani T-112's without hearing them because of a conversation with a bass player whose opinion I agreed with most of the time and greatly respected his thoughts. The Epifani are great cabs for me.
    I think you can buy gear both ways and actually even if you go play something in a store it probably won't give you the complete answer you need. Sometimes it takes some time to settle in to new gear.
    Just my thoughts, good luck.

17. I got my cab without hearing it first, I am still undecided but it's doing a great job, I have never really been able to compare it with others though in a band situation, I think an Ampeg or GK cab would be better.

18. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Based on KJung's reviews and suggestion, I purchased a LMII and a UL410. Best money I have ever spent on a rig.

19. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have never tried an amp before buying. Just keep experimenting and usually read all the posts.

I have owned
    Hartke 3500
    Acoustic 140
    Swr 350 redface
    Markbass LMII
    Ashdown Superfly

I miss the Acoustic, don't miss the LMII and really like the Superfly that I got for $175.00!!! I also bought the Yamaha BBT110s cabs that I use with the superfly strictly on the recommendations of this site.

20. Scott McArron

Scott McArron Supporting Member

Come to think of it, I've never tried my gear before I bought it. The Berg IP was a no brainer; The Mike Lull I bought used (it had less than an hour of playing time on it and I got it for less than half of list! Not even a single polishing swirl...) awesome playing, sounding, and looking bass; and now my Alembic F1-X, which I have but still haven't heard yet... :rolleyes:

That's the way it goes when you're cheap and have to buy used!:D