Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buy any Rotosounds lately?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mazinger, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Specifically the RS66LD.

I always though these had the red wrappings on both ends.
    I bought one set recently and it didn't have the wrapping.
    Did someone switch the strings in the package or is this how they are now?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Last time I bought some was August, and they had blue silks.

3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    last time I bought a set one string broke right away. I've been playing 5 hrs a day for 6 years and they used to be reliable. But rotosounds have been anything but reliable lately for me.....

But dang do they sound good.....

4. The last Swingbass I bought had has red silks and the nickels has blue silks. They are still one of my all time favorite bass strings. I like the stainless on Alder body and nickel on Ash body basses.

5. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I got the Swingbass long scales(even though I'm using them on my P and J), and they didn't have any silk wrapping. Got em from Guitar Center if that makes any difference. They sound good on the P though. Haven't strung em on the J yet(waiting to get my MEC pickups soldered in and bridge changed(when it arrives).

6. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I got mine at a Guitar Center too. I was just a bit curious since I've been using these strings for years and they have always had red silks. The string also looked a bit shiny, it wasn't that typical dull look of the rotos.

7. I just swapped an old pair off my fretless J, and put em' on my TBC.

I'll probably end up stringing both of them with em'.

8. On the Rotosound web site, they list the budget RB40/45s as having no silk.

It may be worth an email to them to clarify if your stockist could have switched strings by accident, or whether there is another explanation.

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The Swingbass 66 Rotos Ive used had no silk.

10. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    mine are RN66LD and had no silk, but growl like a friggin Rott

11. My BS66 (Billy Sheehan Custom Gauge) Swingbasses have got silks on- got them this morning.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    All Rotosound swingbass strings I've ever used have had red silks on them...mind you I haven't bought them in about 6 months.....and have a few spare sets still!

Last 5 string sets I got weren't too good! Swapped them out for La Bella Hard Rockin Steels......wow.....I could be a La Bella convert (and I've been using Rotos for about 15 years!)

13. I bought a set of Rotosound flats (Jazzbass?) last Saturday at GC and they have red silk on both ends. By the way, walking into GC on Saturday afternoon is a descent into hell. I think every amp in the place was cranked all the way and every tone deaf idiot in the Twin Cities was there slapping, popping and wailing away. I won't be visiting there again on a Saturday anytime soon!

14. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    This is just odd though. Looks like others also got strings with no silks.

I have used the RB45s and those are nickle and don't have silks. Roto cites them as cheaper because they don't have silks.

I'm starting to think someone's swapping strings and boxes.
    Oh well.

15. I completely agree! I bought a set of rotos in january and they were dead within 2 days. That's pretty horrible considering string ussally last me 6-10 months! And for those of you who care, they had red silks.
    As far as labellas go, I love em... I'm not sure if peavey still sells them, but I used to always get a 6 string set of peavey's which were made by Labella. They stayed bright long and were freaking ridiculously cheap, like 18 bucks i think. I wish I could find them now...

16. I bought a set of the stainless Roto Swing Bass for my 5-string Cirrus. They're ok, I guess. I kind of have mixed feelings about them. I thought I would try them b/c I've been using the Cirrus strings, but I couldn't get them to last longer than a week or 2. I got these b/c Guitar Center didn't have any DR Lo-Rider 5's, so I said, "What the heck :meh: , I've heard some good stuff about 'em. Why not?" The tone just has something about it that gives it a weird sound on my Cirrus, plus the strings aren't that tight, kinda floppy. I love the sound of my Cirrus with the Cirrus strings on it, but it will put me in the poor house if I stay on that route. I'll give the strings a little while longer and maybe they'll grow on me.

For the record, mine have the red silks on 'em and they're stainless steel.

17. they've been doing the double ball end Swing bass sets (RDB66) without silk ends for a while now- which is better, as the silk used to go over the nut.

18. I contacted Rotosound, and this is what they said:

Have looked at the thread as suggested. All Rotosound Swingbass stainless steel sets have always had red silks and still do! The set comes in an orange box sporting a lion facing.

All Rotosound Swingbass nickel sets have always had blue silks and still do! The set comes in a blue box sporting a lion facing.

Our RB sets are nickel without silks. They come in two gauges, 40 to 100 and 45 to 105, the former in a yellow box, the latter in a pink box.

The RN66LD is a special set made exclusively for the North American chain `Guitar Centre`, the largest music store chain in the US and the world no doubt. These sets are nickel and unsilked in gauges 45 to 105. They come in a traditional clear plastic wallet incorporating an orange wrap around within, sporting guitar silhouettes, the Rotosound diamond logo, a split flag union jack/stars and stripes and the wording 'Swingbass 66 diagonally positioned across the wrapper front. Its probably this set that confuses some individuals in the States with the standard boxed Swingbass stainless set also obtainable there and the rest of the world for that matter.

19. not the double-end sets-
    I bought an RDB66LD set from the Gallery a week ago-
    a black Rotosound box saying "custom bass strings" with a sticker saying "RDB66LD swing bass".
    no silk ends.
    I've previously bought 2 sets exactly the same.
    :confused:

20. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I bought some like 5 days ago, they've got the red silk.