Buy Back my 1/2 size carved Juzek?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rickwolff, Nov 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rickwolff

rickwolff ‘Leave the clams in, let ’em know we're human,' Supporting Member

A couple years ago I came across a carved 1/2 size Juzek which I acquired through trade. I ended up selling it to a young bass student who needed a small bass.

He is ready to move-up to a 3/4 and has found a bass he would like to buy. His dad contacted me to see if I would be interested in buying back the 1/2 size (I had expressed interest previously).

Well, if this really does come together I guess I will have a third DB. It has a lot of 'mojo' having been in a public school. It has the number '3' stenciled on the back.

Years ago (40?) I played a no-name carved blockless wonder 1/2 size for several years. It actually sounded good, or as good as you could sound through a Barkus Berry pickup. This little Juzek, though it shows its age is a pretty decent sounding little bass if I remember correctly. The kid who bought it told his dad "None of the other basses at school sound like this one!"

Anyhoo, I'm waiting for confirmation from the dad and hopefully will bring the little guy back home and keep him here this time. I already have two 1/2 size sets of Spiros - one medium and one weich. I guess there was a reason why I never stuck them onthe classifieds.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Wasnex and Reiska like this.
  2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Gold Supporting Member

Buy it!
    It will go nicely with your 1/2 size new car.
    (jk)
    A Fellow Juzek Owner. (3/4)

rickwolff likes this.
  3. rickwolff

I found the pictures I posted on TB when I first got it.

Juzek 1.jpg Juzek 3.jpg Juzek 4.jpg Juzek 5.jpg Juzek 6.jpg

4. rickwolff

I think the number '3' stenciled on the back is meant to be a self-fulfilling prophesy. It is meant to become my 3rd bass (currently in my possession).

5. Don Kasper

Rick,
    I still have the 2 + 2 tuners that I took off of my Juzek many years ago. They are not perfect, but are in better shape (mechanically & cosmetically?) than the ones in your photos.
    Let me know if you want them - no cost! We'll just need to see if they will fit your existing pegbox and layout.
    Srsly.
    CGH - Ceritified Gear(!) Hoarder.
    Thanks.

Chris Symer, J_Bass and rickwolff like this.
  6. rickwolff

WOW! Thanks, Don. Mr. Generosity, as always. I'll let you know the dimensions of the tuners when/if I get the bass. Perhaps I'll do a tracing of them to get shape and size.

Thanks, again. You da man.

Don Kasper likes this.
  7. Don Kasper

IMG_2651.JPG

8. rickwolff

Sweet! Those look really nice. You may be a 'Certified Gear Horder' but it's amazing to me that you could put your hands on those so quickly.

9. Don Kasper

"Certified...."
    YW.

Wasnex likes this.
  10. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

That's cool Rick! I understand lots of blankets can help with the cold floor in the garage after the Mrs notices that your basses had bred. ;)

rknea, bassfran and J_Bass like this.
  11. rickwolff

As long as I get get into the motorhome and I still have propane for the furnace I should be OK.

bassfran and Tom Lane like this.
  12. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Speaking of which, #3 should fit very nicely through the door in the motorhome!!!

(Congrats on the NBD. I love watching TB/DB'ers acquiring new basses, it's truly inspirational!!!)

13. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Smart! Buying the RV first IS brilliant!

JeffKissell and rickwolff like this.
  14. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Beautiful bass. Love the patina. If you put those machines on it that'll be a fantastic little instrument. Leave the "3"!

marcox likes this.
  15. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    This is a very cool little bass! If I allready had 2 basses I`d string this one in 5ths and use it as a solo / musical exploring instrument.

rickwolff likes this.
  16. rickwolff

The Baby Juzek has arrived.

Juzek and Tripp.jpg

Just got the baby back today. I had told the person who was selling it back to me that my purchase was contingent on seeing the bass again (it's been at least 3 years).

Well, it had thumpy orchestra strings on it - Helicore Blue and who knows how old. My first thought was 'This isn't going to work'.

But then I put on a well-used set of Spirocores - weichs on the A & E and Mittels on the D & G. (I didn't have a Mittle E string). I don't even know where or when I got two sets of 1/2 size Spiros.

Well, of course, now it's a whole different animal. The open strings sound great. The nut is too high and the board needs dressing so it's tough to get a good sound other than the open strings but doing that, and possibly a soundpost adjustment should make this a very usable little jobbing bass. Here is a clip I just made:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  17. rickwolff

The label inside says 'Made in Germany' (NOT West Germany). Does that mean it is pre-WWII?

18. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Congrats on getting this baby back!!!

I've heard:

"Germany" means pre-war
    "West Germany" and "East Germany" mean post war, pre-Soviet-breakup
    "Made in Germany" means post-Soviet-breakup.

Now, that's just what I've heard, and it might or might not be right.

19. rickwolff

Thank you for that. I got curious so I let Google do some digging and came up with this which is a bit different:

Information below excerpted from: https://stringsmagazine.com/an-insiders-guide-to-violin-labels/

Finding the Clues

Despite the potential for unreliability, information can sometimes be gleaned from a label, especially if it says something in English, like “Made in Germany,” or “Bavaria.” This means that the instrument was produced for export to the United States. Exactly how the information is worded can help determine the approximate date of export.

The McKinley Tariff Act of 1890 required all products imported to the United States be marked with their country of origin. So, if there is no such mark, the instrument is pre-1890, or not made for the US market. (Remember, the vast majority were.) In 1914 the act was revised to require that the words “Made in” be used as well. So if your label says simply “Bavaria” it’s probably post-McKinley, but before 1914. The act was amended further in 1921 to state that the place of origin must be in English. So, “Made in Nippon” would indicate an instrument manufactured between 1914 and 1921. After 1921 it would be “Made in Japan.”

Post-World War II labels carry further clues. After the partition of Germany, goods were from West Germany or East Germany. Likewise, during the US occupation of Japan goods were marked “Made in Occupied Japan.”

Based (bassed??) on this information I would guess my 1/2 size Juzek to be from between 1914 and the end of WWII.

dhergert likes this.
  20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    That's a sweet sounding little bass. I don't have a string bass currently. Back when I played regularly, I always used an amp, so I have considered getting a 1/2 size bass: easier to transport, probably easier for aging hands to play, and maybe even easier to amplify. I would think the purchase cost will be lower as well, as I can't justify the cost of owning an orchestral quality instrument.

Congrats on getting your baby back :thumbsup:.

rickwolff likes this.