1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buy, fix, sell

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by KickingBass, Feb 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Anyone buy cheap broken instruments, amps, cabs and then fix them and sell them for a profit? I dont imagine you can make much doing it but it sounds like a fun way to make a few bucks while using your skills. I've been learning and practicing my guitar tech skills for a while and it's very calming and fun for me. Just wondering if anyone does this for fun and how they feel about it.

2. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    Yeah, I'll pick up stuff that is busted just for the challenge to fix it. Turntables, amps, lawn mowers, table lamps, whatever. But it has to be dirt cheap because I rarely actually do fix it. The stuff hardly makes it to the "sell for profit" phase.

KickingBass likes this.
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I've been "rescuing" MIM J basses for a few years now. I make a little then break even or lose a little but on the whole i'm ahead enough to keep it up. If i had to depend on the income i'd be hosed but otherwise it's a better time suck than facebook.

4. I rescue neglected /abused Squiers and Peaveys. Usually pick up for $100 or less off of craigslist.
    It's fun to refurbish them. As for making money, no. It's a labor of love and most of them I have gifted
    to friends and family or keep.

5. My main bass came to me without strings, knobs, broken pickups, missing tuners and a layer of grime. The finish is worn but its all put back together and been a great player and seen many of gigs for close to 2 years.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would imagine you would have to get the stuff dirt cheap for it to be profitable, but it could be fun to try.

7. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    My last 3 purchases were $50 CL guitars that just needed set up and new strings.

Now I have a Squier Bronco, Epiphone LP Special II, and an 80's Electra x630n.

Now I'm looking for amps and heads.

I LOVE MUSIC CITY