Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Buy it all or wait?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by CamMcIntyre, Jun 26, 2003.

1. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hi everyone, first off-if i am posting this in the wrong forum or if there was a link in the Newbie Links that i missed that answers this question just point me to it and i'll do it.

Ok-here's my question. Should i buy everything at once or gradually? Reason for asking is that i'm really close to having enough to be able to buy an Engelhardt S1 from a dealer that is in my state [few hr drive]. I also have access [i'm issued sort of]to a pickup, and a bow. Should i just wait till i have enough to buy those things or would it be OK to just buy the bass [setup] & case now while using the school owned products until i get the funds to get them for myself? As far as the strings, i will wait and see if the ones that come stock are truly terrible or just not great. That's all and thanks in advance.

2. Unless the dealer is giving you a "package deal" (which rarely turn out to be deals), I would go ahead use the school's pickup, amp and bow for a while. That way, you'll have time to research and possibly try equipment and find out what works best with your bass.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Thanks Mike. I think that if i use the school's pickup [a fishman] and the school's bow [some sort of wood-looks good to me, it's a french bow]. The main thing is it will allow me to save up the money so i can do it right rather than what i can afford. That's all and thanks for the response.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That Fishman will help you appreciate how far pickups have come in the last few years, once you try some other ones;)

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Marcus, now you see why i put

The main thing is it will allow me to save up the money so i can do it right rather than what i can afford :D

It looks like i've got another month or two until i get to buy one so i'll post more as i get the information. I've got around $200 to save up plus seeing if the finances work out with my dad. That's all