1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buy new shirts or just tailor them?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Mar 23, 2006.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    This is a TB first:

I have been burning some fat lately.... I'm down to about 224 (from 250) and am losing the gut. I can fit into some old slacks and pants, but my dress shirts are just too baggy on me.

I really don't want to go and buy $200-300 worth of dress shirts... These are decent shirts from Dillards - should I just have them tailored (which would be a first for me, but have heard that tailored shirts are the bomb) or just buy new shirts?

I'm more about saving money...

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Tailored shorts are the bomb, I concur! I get all my dress shirts tailor made, $45 each.

-Mike

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Do you happen to know the cost of just having a shirt tailored?

4. Congrats on shedding a few kilos!

Baggy clothes are all the rage with the hip hop you know. ;)

5. Value Village!

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm curious, too. Seems like even the "contoured" and "fitted" shirts tend to be baggy. I guess I could just ask at my dry cleaners how much it costs (they also do alterations) but I just never "got a round tuit."

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    tailored is the way to go, all my button down shirts need to be tailored. find a good one in the area, build a rapport, and stick with them.

8. You lost weight? That's great! :)

Buy new shirts as a reward to yourself for accomplishing a goal, and throw the old ones out so there's nothing to remind you of the past.(burn the bridge)

That's what I'd do.

Mike ;)

I can sure spend other people's money for them. :D

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The one negative about losing 60 lbs two years ago, was I went through two new complete sets of clothes in that time period!

10. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Just to pull in the sides shouldn't cost you more than $10. If you are going through a period of losing weight, I suggest you get the ones you have tailored. It would be a real bummer to grab up some nice tailored shirts, only to have to ditch them a month or so later.

-Mike

11. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Did work make you do it, or did you decide to get on the chip for yourself ? Either way, nice going, both of you guys

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I lost 80 pounds (yeah, many of them are back) over a 6 month period a while back. My reward was new clothes. Live a little and reward yourself. It's hard work.

13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

I did it on my own. At 6-1, 239, I was big, but not too big to do my job. There were certainly guys that were fatter than me.
    I just decided I wanted to look better, and be healthier. A heart attack scare about 1/3 the way into the process certainly encourage me to keep going with it! I fluctuate between 180 and 190 these days, and am working to get back to that 180 number!

14. My shirts usually degrade before my body shape changes. I think I've gained maybe 10 pounds since I graduated high school 5 years ago. So I'm buying new shirts instead of fixing old ones.

Rokc on
    Eric

15. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Good for you, keep up the good work. lemme' know if you need any help with training programs or diets.

16. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    WOW! I haven't weighed 180 since middle school. :eek:

-Mike

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yeah, but you are like 7' 4".... :D

Thanks for all the help, guys...

:)

18. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If you're losing weight and shedding fat, don't worry about the shirt. Show off your efforts and buy a Speedo.

I know that if I lost 20-30 lbs that would be the first thing I'd do. Next thing would be to find a suitably sized potato, and head down to the beach.

19. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

LOL..8th grade football weigh ins, I remember being 5-11, 115 lbs! :)

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yeah, but if you lost 20-30 lbs, you would still be fat.