1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buy now or save up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Mar 13, 2013.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, so I really mainly play a pair of 5ers. I had gotten up to a stable of 4 basses, but sold two, got a new amp setup and a wireless unit, then sold the old amp. I have a good stable rig to gig with - 2 basses, good amplification, and a case of pedals with all the effects I want.

I keep thinking I'd like to have a 4-string in the stable and as of this moment am sitting on about $450. So I'm wavering about what to do. Should I...

Spend the $450 (or a part thereof) getting a used MIM Fender, a new VM Squier, or something to that effect, or...

Keep socking away money and go for something like a Carvin, MIA Fender, or Lakland Skyline once I can build it up to $1300 or so?

Overall economic outlook in my life is somewhat uncertain. For reasons that must remain mysterious (sorry), I MIGHT come in for a big windfall this summer, I MIGHT be able to gradually save up the other $900 over the next 6-12 months (depending on employment and how much the band gigs), or I MIGHT be less employed than I am now and have to skimp.

OK, TB - what would you do? Spend now, or sit on the money and wait?

2. If you consider buying used, none of the more expensive basses you listed are all that far out of reach. Depending on model, you should be able to able to pick up most of those for $900 or less used. A lot of Carvins are even cheaper than that.

3. Well, it's not as if you're "starving" for basses to play right now, and although I feel a used MIM or new Squier is likely a safe bet, you may want to wait it out and see if you can indeed save up for a more expensive bass. Although my two $300 Squiers are damn good basses, and I'll clock anyone who says they ain't (j/k), my $1200 MIA Jazz is still the best bass I've ever laid hands on, and even tho I'm more of a P-bass guy, I'm still super glad I got it .
    If you run into problems working up the money down the line (and it seems to be a possibilty you might), then you might consider the cheaper yet still viable alternative.

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Considering the choices you mentioned and I wanted a 4 string JB, I'd opt to get a Carvin SKB 4 Jazz bass. They nail the JB tone and are great basses.

5. tmntfan

tmntfan

Oct 6, 2011
    Edmonton canada
    +1 save up a bit till you find something you like, not just something you think you want.

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would wait and see how everything unfolds you have two good basses already and if you buy something cheap now you will probably lose money on it.

7. buy now. instant gratification!

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I would wait but I know how gas can get the better of us sometimes. For just a little more, you can grab a new Classic 50's P or 60's Jazz (Fender's best bang for the buck, IMO) or a few more will get you a used American Std or new American Special. It's really worth the wait considering the quality of bass you'd be getting.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    $450 or so should buy a decent 4 string P-Bass.
    But then again, save some dough,you have two 4 strings with a great thumb rest already.
    My 4 basses are five string, but I have no urge for a 4 string.
    GAS & TB will get you every time.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    +1000
    Used Carvin's are the best. If you want a well made, American bass with a stock ebony fretboard, Carvin's are a great choice.

11. My humble advice: don't buy a bass until AFTER you have sussed out the financial situation. you are already set with a good solid gigging set-up, hang on to your dough.

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's definately a good idea, but if you can, at least try a used Carvin before you spend the dough on a new, or used American Fender. You can get a great Carvin for $400 that was $1200 new, or a great Fender for $800 that was $1200 new. It's worth considering.

13. Love the Gorn captain in your avatar!

14. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    yeah. used carvins can be had for $450-600 pretty often. i've seen them go even cheaper.

however, if you can play before you buy (ie craigslist) a MIM fender can be a great choice. i would not recommend buying anything new.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    My advice would be to keep saving, and keep an eye out for a killer deal on a really nice bass... I've gotten some unbelievable deals in the past by having cash on hand when they popped up - and it'll still be a buyers market for a while longer...

A couple of examples: I got both a '95 MIA P Bass and an '08 MIA FSR Hot Rod Jazz in hardshell cases for $800 for the pair - later on, I flipped the P Bass for $500, so I have very little in a fantastic Jazz... I also got a very clean '08 American Standard Jazz for $630... The nice thing about buys like those is you'll never lose money on 'em, should you decide to sell later...

- georgestrings

16. new squier VM P-bass. put the extra 200 in the bank.

17. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    Good advice.