buy or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by let_your_soulfly, Nov 27, 2000.

1. let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    hey fellow bass players,
    can someone please help me out. could you go to the classifieds under bass for sale(on this site not a local paper) and go to the conklin 7 string cheap thread. it should be like the 6th one down. could anyone tell me if this is a good buy and if i should take the challenge of a 7 string. i consider myself around intermediate and ive been playing for 2-3 years. thanks a bunch!mean it!!
  2. I have been playing bass for about 6 yrs now on my 4 string p bass copy. I usually practice four to six hours a day on it and I have just started to look for a good quality five string or just maybe even a six. I would recommend that you stay on the 5 string that you have or maybe even buy a cheap four stringer for like 50 bucks at a tag sale or sumthin to get really good at. Than move up from there. Just my oppinion. ~ Marty
  3. let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    thanks alot marty. appreciate the advice
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I must respectfully disagree with Marty on this one.

There is no need to step up to a 5, then a 6, etc.

If what you hear in your head requires a 2 string, get a 2 string.

If what you hear requires a 9 string fretless with 3 1/2 scale drone strings, go and get one of those(if you can find one;))

I went and bought a 6, never played one except at music stores but knew that was what I wanted for the progressive metal that I was playing, and took it on a gig the same week I bought it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend something this drastic, but, hey, it worked for me!

I am a firm believer that one does not need to master the 4, 5 or whatever before moving up to something else. Who can say that anybody has truly mastered any instrument, anyway?

If you really want a 7 string and feel that it would allow you to express yourself in ways that a 4 or 5 or 6 string cannot, go for it.

On the other hand, if it is just a macho 'Look how many strings I have! I'm bada$$' kind of thing, or a case of GAS that you think might pass in a week or a month, don't do it.

Do it for the right reason.

[Edited by embellisher on 11-27-2000 at 11:43 PM]
  5. let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    thanks for the support/advice embellisher but do u think it is a good buy??!!!ohh by the way it's not a macho thing.....i've heard the sound, i feel it's just amazing what you can do.

[Edited by let_your_soulfly on 11-28-2000 at 05:24 PM]
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

_fly, that is an awesome deal if the bass is on good shape. I wish that I could afford it, I would jump on it, but I have to get me an Eden Metro first and can't even do that until January.

If that's what you really want, I say go for it!

And it you don't like it, you can sell it to me in February or March.
  7. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    If you want the 7 go for the 7. I also feel that there is no need to step your way up from 4 to 5 to 6 and so on. I also don't think there's any reason for someoneto start on a 4 as opposed to a 6. Piano players don't start to learn on a 44 key piano and work their way up.