Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buy or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by let_your_soulfly, Nov 27, 2000.

1. let_your_soulfly

let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    Toronto
    hey fellow bass players,
    can someone please help me out. could you go to the classifieds under bass for sale(on this site not a local paper) and go to the conklin 7 string cheap thread. it should be like the 6th one down. could anyone tell me if this is a good buy and if i should take the challenge of a 7 string. i consider myself around intermediate and ive been playing for 2-3 years. thanks a bunch!mean it!!

2. I have been playing bass for about 6 yrs now on my 4 string p bass copy. I usually practice four to six hours a day on it and I have just started to look for a good quality five string or just maybe even a six. I would recommend that you stay on the 5 string that you have or maybe even buy a cheap four stringer for like 50 bucks at a tag sale or sumthin to get really good at. Than move up from there. Just my oppinion. ~ Marty

3. let_your_soulfly

let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    Toronto
    thanks alot marty. appreciate the advice

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I must respectfully disagree with Marty on this one.

There is no need to step up to a 5, then a 6, etc.

If what you hear in your head requires a 2 string, get a 2 string.

If what you hear requires a 9 string fretless with 3 1/2 scale drone strings, go and get one of those(if you can find one;))

I went and bought a 6, never played one except at music stores but knew that was what I wanted for the progressive metal that I was playing, and took it on a gig the same week I bought it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend something this drastic, but, hey, it worked for me!

I am a firm believer that one does not need to master the 4, 5 or whatever before moving up to something else. Who can say that anybody has truly mastered any instrument, anyway?

If you really want a 7 string and feel that it would allow you to express yourself in ways that a 4 or 5 or 6 string cannot, go for it.

On the other hand, if it is just a macho 'Look how many strings I have! I'm bada$$' kind of thing, or a case of GAS that you think might pass in a week or a month, don't do it.

Do it for the right reason.

[Edited by embellisher on 11-27-2000 at 11:43 PM]

5. let_your_soulfly

let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    Toronto
    thanks for the support/advice embellisher but do u think it is a good buy??!!!ohh by the way it's not a macho thing.....i've heard the sound, i feel it's just amazing what you can do.

[Edited by let_your_soulfly on 11-28-2000 at 05:24 PM]

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

_fly, that is an awesome deal if the bass is on good shape. I wish that I could afford it, I would jump on it, but I have to get me an Eden Metro first and can't even do that until January.

If that's what you really want, I say go for it!

And it you don't like it, you can sell it to me in February or March.

7. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    If you want the 7 go for the 7. I also feel that there is no need to step your way up from 4 to 5 to 6 and so on. I also don't think there's any reason for someoneto start on a 4 as opposed to a 6. Piano players don't start to learn on a 44 key piano and work their way up.