Buy that D**m Manring CD NOW!!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Apr 1, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Today I got Michael Manring's book of flame in the post from Steve.

All I can say is that if this is how bass is meant to be played we should all give up now and that includes you to Steve :bawl:

The CD is great very listenable one of those Bass CD's where you can either take note of the superb playing or just sit back and enjoy the fantastic music.

I'll post a better review once i've finished listening to it. You kinda have to listen to each track 200 tiimes just to believe what your hearing
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I ordered a copy months ago, but then michael had some distribution problems, and it never shipped so I canceled the order. I shall try again though.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I wouldn't say that it made me want to give up - if anything, it made me want to get on with some practising - but it's certainly a great disk. Despite Michael's 'gorilla' marketing (you know - the CDs hide in the jungle and are rarely seen by human eyes :D ) his recent visit over here and the disks being sent to Steve have provided a way for me finally to get hold of Book of Flame and I've been giving it a lot of listening since it turned up yesterday.

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much, guys. I don’t know what it is with my bad luck in the distribution department. Even when I was on a major label it was a challenge. I remember doing a big schmoozy album release party for one of my records in LA and even the Tower Records across the street didn’t have them in stock! Sigh.
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You'll just have to keep sending disks to Steve :D ... how about a batch of Thonk? I'm loving Book of Flame.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, I have
    • Toward the Center of the Night
    • Thonk
    • Book of Flame

I always was able to find your albums in Germany :)
  7. Hi there,
    I really want this CD - so how would I go about acquiring one from Mr. Lawson?
    Thanks very much,
  8. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I have a very small number of copies left of Book Of Flame.

If you're in the UK and want one, please email me to confirm that there's one left for you, then send me a cheque for £11 inc. P+P.

If you're anywhere else in the world, go to to get one...

I'm sure we can also work out some sort of talkbass reader bulk-buy deal for anyone who wants my CDs as well as Michael's... :)

9. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    if you're not paranoid about buying stuff off the internet you can still get copies of Book of Flame from Amazon.
  10. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I feel really proud of living in such a "remote" country (Argentina) and having all of Michael solo albums (all original, no copies), this includes:

- Unusual Weather
    - Towards the center of the night
    - Drastic Measures
    - Thonk
    - The book of flame

- Bass Essentials video
    - Addition by substraction (with McGill / Stevens)
    - Attention deficit
    - Windham Hill - Summer Solstice (1 one of my fav tunes with Paul McCandless)

The first one I got was DM, and it blew my mind, but then Thonk blew it even more !!!
    So, I enjoyed a TBOF a lot, but didn`t surprised so much.

There`s no other solo bass artist that I enjoy that much. It`s just so inspiring and refreshing, always pushing the boundaries.
  11. Totally agree! I bought both Thonk and the Book of Flame off of e-bay and both were bargains. I managed to get Opafire with Michael featured on that for a paltry $1.75.
  12. OK, I have hte cheque and envelope sorted now (at long last...). Is BOF still in stock, Steve? Sorry about not getting the cash squared away until now...

Does anyone have a tracklist of what's on BOF?

13. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    BOF track list:

1- The fire sermon
    2- Adult content/brief nudity
    3- The book of lies
    4- La Sagrada Familia
    5- Theseus in the rain
    6- No wontons for Elvis
    7- Your Ad
    8- Ephemeris
    9- The Adamski Photographs
    10- Dromedary
    11- The Book of living and dying (for Michael Hedges, 1953-1997)
  14. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Mark,

yes I've got a couple of copies left - email me and we'll sort out the details!