Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buy the Scout or get another GS112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gus Autine, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have a Walkabout head and an Aguilar GS112 cabinet. I am very pleased with the sound and this setup generally is plenty for the smaller venues that will have me. Yes, I like warm, old school sound.

For larger venues without PA support (not very frequent), I am trying to decide whether to simply get another GS112, or the Walkabout Scout combo cab (not an extension cab but the one in which the Walkabout head lurks).

It appears that the Scout cabinet would have to be specially ordered, and is considerably more expensive. In addition, I would think (but am ready to be corrected) that stacking the Scout on top of a GS112 would greatly reduce the effect of the Scout's passive radiator. I haven't succeeded in being able to try out a Scout combo + GS112 versus the Walkbout head + 2 GS112s. (I know I am supposed to be thinking with my ears here.)

Does anyone think that the Scout plus one GS112 would be meaningfully superior to playing through two GS112s?

Thanks for any responses

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i really cant say as i've never heard the scout, but i think you're right that the passive radiator would be impaired by placing it upon a cabinet rather than on the floor.

I have heard two gs-112 cabs together and they do sound very good, you can get even more projection by stacking them upon their sides to make the stack taller.

another thing to consider is that aguilar makes a version of the 112 without a tweeter so if you bought a second one and didnt really feel you needed an extra tweeter you could save a little coin.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'd get another GS112.

a pair is gut slammin', and sounds terrific with the Walka.

didnt dig the scout combo at all, and thought they didnt do the nice head any justic.