1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buy this or...?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by GTH007, Mar 8, 2016.

1. GK MB212 ii

18 vote(s)
    62.1%
  2. Fender rumble 500

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  3. Other. Please explain

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Im trying to decide if i should buy:
    - a GK MB212 ii combo amp
    - possibly a Fender rumble500 combo amp (probably not as 'good' as the GK, but i would be saving $200)
    -*or anything else*

I've never gigged before, and i am just starting a band. Im ready to play small shows and hopefully medium shows in time.

My concern is, am i
    buying(way) too much then needed?

I want an amp that could do well in up to medium gigs. So should i just get the GK(keep in mind, you can attach powered "MBP" cabs for more wattage), or spend less money on something and still get enough(or more)?

Please vote in the poll and leave any comments.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    My vote is the Gk - I've been playing GK for ages though. For me the famlial sound of Gk amps simply works. You thigh should go and play a gew amps... IMO the $200 you save on the Fender could be as easily $$$ wasted as you you could end up not liking it. IMO - buy the amp that inspires you to fire it up and play

Starseed and GTH007 like this.
  3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I wouldn't worry too much... If you get to bigger gigs, chances are you will be mic'd or go DI and there will be subs to boost the bass in the PA.
    I've done plenty of gigs with my little Markbass 121cmd combo amp - 400w, 12" spkr and weighs 29 lbs! :hyper:
    DI to PA when necessary..

4. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I'd say to try both amps first, they're both pretty darn good. The GK has a more hifi tone, the Fender more vintage. The GK might be a little louder due to the increased driver area of 2x12 vs. the 2x10 of the Fender. The Fender wouldn't require a powered cab if you wanted to add more speakers.

tbirdsp likes this.
  5. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    I meant to emphasize this in the post, but will i most likely get mic'd by PA? If my amp was well enough, could i just refuse PA because I've been told PA usually worsens the tone

6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'd go with the GK.

i used to play a 1000 watt head through an 18" and a 2x10" cab, and at smaller to medium clubs, i didn't need PA support. one sound guy mic'ed my cabs, but it wasn't really necessary.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I also do sound. Have a very small sound company. As a bass player, I'm in the PA every gig and no, it does not worsen my bands tone...in fact it improves it. We have a very 'produced' sound... We worked at that a lot.

For me the amp is a Stage monitor, for me and drummer boy. It has to sound good to me (and him). I still let the PA do the heavy lifting though.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    s0c9 likes this.
  8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I like GK (using a MB Fusion 500 head currently) - but 800 bucks is a lot of cash for someone just starting out (maybe you have the money?). I haven't played through that specific Rumble combo but have tried several other Rumble V3 amps - I thought they sounded great, especially for the money.
    With the GK - I have used my MB Fusion 500 head into a 4 ohm Avatar B212 Neo cab - that setup can get many times louder than I would ever need. Imagine the MB212 would be similar.

PA only worsens tone if the sound engineer is clueless (which does happen).

s0c9 likes this.
  9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    If you heard it on the interweb, it must be true, right? Don't believe everything you hear. :)
    If you ever play festival (or larger) stages you have NO CHOICE but to use the PA subs as even 8x10 cab w/ 1000w isn't going to cut it. Even some larger clubs have that.. I'm playing a 4-day stint at one at the end of this month that has SIX dual-18" subs under the stage. My 1000w Ampeg rig won't make a dent in that venue, even dimed... so it goes DI to FOH.

Get something that sounds good to you, works in the average/small club and worry about micing or going DI when you get to that point.

nolezmaj and Geri O like this.
  10. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    The one thing to consider about the Rumble is that the DI is post-everything and it is not switchable.

11. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    What does this mean?

12. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    This is because im actually trying to save some money in the long run. After this buy i wouldnt need to buy anything else for a while. I currently have a 30w amp and dont want to buy something under 300watts or so and then just barely have enough or need to buy something more.

13. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    How about the GK mb112 ii ?
    Would it be better to just go for the 212?
    I slap a lot, and am looking for a heavy bass tone for that and fingerstyle as well . Would i be missing anything with the 112 instead if the 212 or would it simply just be volume loss?

14. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I use a GK MB-Fusion 500 head and a GK MB-212 II Neo, 4 Ohm Cab. Gives me all the low end I need on medium sized gigs.

15. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    GK MB212 is in my opinion the greatest combo amp ever made considering price, power, sound, and portability.

Pudge Fish likes this.
  16. Pudge Fish

Pudge Fish

Aug 6, 2013
    MD
    I've got an MB212 and I love it. Keeps up with a maniacal drummer!

shawshank72 and GTH007 like this.
  17. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    OK - well the MB212ii should be a great amp and will be more than you need for the rest of your life (my opinion). Just from the way you are talking I think you should skip the 112.

GTH007 likes this.
  18. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Haha thanks guys im a noob but consider myself pretty skilled for the short time I've been playing, i just want to make sure im making a smart decision and get the biggest bang for my budget

19. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    "Biggest bang for your budget" - I suggest not getting a combo amp. You are setting yourself up for not having enough firepower at gigs and limiting your options on expansion. I don't know exactly what kind of music you will be playing at shows, but I highly suggest you grab a used 400 watt at 8 ohm head with a used 8 ohm 410. That should do it for most situations you will be in. Your rig on stage is a stage monitor and the PA system, when running properly, will make your bass audible to MANY people. Your stage rig can only put out so much sound. MANY commercial bass cabs are not designed to "fill a room", but there are some bass rigs that can.

I don't advocate "get what you THINK you need", I advocate, "Get more than you need". You can always turn it down. Until you are gigging and adjusted to live bass playing, you will not know what you truly need to hear yourself. If you buy used, it's fairly simple to sell that gear for the same price you bought it at in case you wanted/needed something different. As to what brands to look at? Avoid Behringer and the GK Backline gear. USED is the best way to get good gear at a good cost.

s0c9 likes this.
  20. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Before I get the combo users angry at me, the GK MB Combo series are some of the loudest combos I have ever heard. It's the only line of combos I can safely say COULD get the job done in many situations. I have no gigging experiences with them though, only Guitar Center noodling.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021