1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buy this or...?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by GTH007, Mar 8, 2016.

1. GK MB212 ii

18 vote(s)
    62.1%
  2. Fender rumble 500

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  3. Other. Please explain

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    You're right an amp head and cab would be better in the long run and more versatile but:
    - used may not sound as good as new and could have close to broken/broken parts, dont want to risk that. If it sounds sub par to new, i wouldnt really have any idea.
    - new i could get a warranty
    - amp head and cab new is more expensive

Not a bad idea, but i see the GK mb212ii as pretty worth it honestly. Just wanted other opinions. I just want to be on the safe, guaranteed side

2. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    It just seems like a combo amp like the GK im talking about will be more than enough than i will need for a while, im just wondering if it will be too much

3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    If you don't mind carrying it and it doesn't take up too much space on the stage for you - I don't see how it could be "too much" - except for price, and you have already explained your feelings on that.
    Something else - the trend in the music industry is towards in-ear monitoring systems. We are just a local cover band and we are all IEM. In reality I could go without an amp at all. Anymore I mainly use it as a back up in case of an IEM failure of some kind. It may take you a while to get to where you are always using a PA/sound engineer - but if you continue on that day will come. Until then I think the MB212ii will cover anything you need to do.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Too much is OK. You can turn it down and you can also roll any of the tone knobs backwards. Getting too little and having nothing left in the tank when you need to get louder is a bad situation to be involved in.

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Warranties are nice, but what do you do when the gear breaks down and you have a gig the next day? Yeah it's covered, but you will have to start scrambling to make sure you have a rig. Used gear generally sounds just as good as the new gear. You can always tell what kind of person you are buying the gear from - it's good to meet them in person and just listen to them talk. You can tell right away if they value and take care of their gear. A sloppy van filled with beaten up gear is probably the guy you SHOULD NOT buy from. The guy with barely any scratches on a cabinet is the guy to talk to. Yes, you do take a risk, but the reward is so much higher.

It looks like you made up your mind on the GK 212MB. Buy it new and enjoy it. :bassist:

GTH007 likes this.
  6. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Good points perhaps I'll consider some used gear

7. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Other amps that have DI outs have a switch that allows you to send a signal that is pre-EQ/volume so the FOH/PA has more flexibility in tailoring your sound to the room. With the Rumble, you don't have that option. The EQ requirements for the stage may be different for the room. What you roll off to hear better on stage can't be added back in for the room. With a switch, you can send a clean, flat signal to the board and separately set the EQ for you on stage.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021