1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buy yourself a piece of recording history.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BAG, Mar 20, 2017.

1. BurnOut likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    If only talent came with... :)

BurnOut likes this.
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Alan Parsons did a great job on the engineering of that album. I've never really dug Floyd musically, but always liked the sonic qualities of their albums. Alan is a super talented engineer, and I'm sure this board has a ton of sonic character.

And I likes this.
  4. ofajen

ofajen Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    Not quite the same as this console, but the first machine on this page was one I built up and used as a mix deck. Now in another studio in the hands of a good friend.

3M M23 Tape Machine

Otto

5. ofajen

ofajen Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    Interesting that Gilmour was telling Abbey Road in 1967 to skip the upgrade from four to eight tracks and go straight to 16. He saw the writing on the wall, but there really wasn't a machine with that many tracks that met Abbey Road's very high audio standards.

At the time, they chose to replace the Student J-37s with the 3M M-23s like my machine pictured at the above page. The engineers were very thorough in verifying the superior performance of the M-23 series, which was limited to 8 tracks and still of the "one rack unit per channel" style. I suspect the engineers didn't feel that the existing (Ampex) sixteen track machines were not quite up to the same audio spec.

It was about a year later, in May of 1968, that Dale Manquen, working for 3M, conspired with Wally Heider to build a 16-track prototype using the 3M electronics and transport, with all the channel cards inside the console and a consolidated transport and switching remote. That was one of the first "modern" large format recorders, and certainly the highest spec 16-track machine at the time. The timing wasn't great for Abbey Road, having already made an investment in the M-23 machines.

Back to the console, glad to see that it was bought by Michael Hedges and has been in service in his studio since leaving Abbey Road. Should still be in good shape after all these years.

Otto