buying a bass for my crazy shows, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Apr 27, 2003.

1. The budget is gonna be 700 bucks and I've been wondering, what is a nice solidly built bass that can get beat up a bit, holds a nice rocking tone and has a somewhat versatile sound......a 5 stringed bass preferably. I've been pretty fond of those ibanez ergodine basses, the one with 2 humbuckers, as crappy as it may seem for lacking wood, I think you can get a nice tone if you tweak it a bit more.

I tend to go in the moshpit and play bass and even though I haven't dropped my bass or scratched it, no risks are wanted.

I also looked into the used department, since I can get a nice one for a nice price.

so to sum this up, what is a solid 5 stringer that can take a beating and packs a strong versatile tone under 700 bucks.
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    You sound like you REALLY need a Spector!! I usually tell everyone to buy Spector cause its a great bass, but it seems particularly suited to you. The korean neck-thru 5 spectors were discontinued last year, btu they can be found used easily for around $500. The bolt-on 5 runs about $540 new and is still in production. These basses have a very versatile tone that is very clean and well-stuited to aggressive music styles, and with the active EQ and dual EMG soapbars you can get a VERY wide range of tone- pounding lows up to clear highs. They are also VERY durable- I have smacked mine into countless objects on accident and it only has one noticeable scratch to speak of. The clearcoat on these basses is very thick and sturdy. The necks on the bolt-on models use 5 sunk-in bolts and are extremely sturdy. All-in-all, its built like a tank and sounds great.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I do what yer talking about. Have the scars and concussions that come with it...

I had great results with an MTD Kingston 5er. Very nice axe, very solid, and took any abuse I heaped on myself, and it in turn. Beefhause2000 here ha(d?)s it, and he can attest to the fact that it was in pretty decent shape for having been in more wild shows and near riots than it should have been.
  4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    G&L Tribute new for $600
  5. A Fender Standard Jazz Bass 5 string, with J-Retro preamp popped in.

Dependable, durable and (supposedly) awesome tone.