1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a bass in London

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lord Henry, Mar 29, 2006.

1. I might have to bump this tomorrow morning, given that it's midnight on this side of the pond, but I'm in a posting mood.

I'm looking to buy my 'step up' bass in the next month or so. I always head to the bass cellar on denmark street for strings, but I've noticed a few problems, mostly based, I think, on the fact that they see a lot of people and many of them are, well, dicks.

1) If they don't know you, they don't really like getting into convesations.

2) They really aren't big fans of people coming in and playing a load of their basses (I have to do this as I haven't played many basses and I need to get a feel).

3) They are not up for making deals. I admit that I've not tried this with basses but I used to buy my guitars at their sister shop (world of music) and that was my experience.

So, does anyone know of a friendlier, more open bass shop in the London area. I don't drive so on the public transport system would be good.

Cheers guys.

2. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
  3. As promised: BUMP!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Either of those shops are good recommendations - I have bought my last 4 basses at the Bass Centre and it is a great place to spend time trying basses - they always have something I want!! ;)

Not too far way from Central London either.

The Gallery is harder to find and get to IMO - but is well worth a visit - great to see those Sei's being built and they have some great high-end stuff!! :)

5. Soundcontrol under Virgin on Oxford st is good. It's pretty vast, and they have a huge range. The assistants tend to plug you in and leave you alone for a few minutes.
    Great range of Spectors as I remember.:bassist:

+1 for the Bass centre and Bass gallery too.

6. The nicest thing about the Bass Centre and The Gallery is that they are both happy for you to try out basses, and they leave you in peace to get a feel for them. Virtually no attitude at all, nobody "judging" your playing... I'd always go to one of those stores first. The Gallery is an Aladin's cave - stocked to the rafters with gear. Because it's a small shop it's sometimes hard to get to basses you might want to try. The Bass Centre on the other hand has lots of room. But they're both worth checking out.

Happy shopping!
    Mike

The Gallery - Exit Camden tube station, head up towards Sainsbury's on Camden Rd., cross the street. Once you cross the canal, take the path on the north side. When you reach Royal College Rd. The Gallery is on the opposite side of the road about 10-20 yards to the right.

Bass Centre - Exit Aldgate East station onto Whitechapel High St., turn left on Commercial St., left on Wentworth St., Right on Toynbee St., Left on Brune St. The Bass Centre is on the right hand side at the corner of the next road.

7. I sure did notice the pricing difference on imported basses over on that side of the pond. MIM's are much more than here. ( of course the USD is dropping like a stone)

question: do vintage US basses sell over there? Reason is, I was thinking of carting over my just redone Peavey T40. If I could get 200 pounds I'd be happy. Guess I have to call teh Guitar Shop in Reading and ask them...
    Happy shopping!

8. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    Hiya,
    Would agree that The Gallery & the Bass Centre are two best places.

MKS' directions for the Gallery (& the Bass Centre) are spot on, but if you're going to the Gallery make sure you press the buzzer to gain entry (you can't get in otherwise). The shop looks very tight for space, but the staff in there are very accomodating & friendly.

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for!

Cheers,
    Essexbass.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I'm not sure anybody here thinks of Peavey as "vintage"...:confused: ?

Now if you had an early '60s Fender Jazz, you could name your price!! :)

10. jablues

jablues

Oct 17, 2005
    Seville, Spain.
    +1 !!! I´ve been living and studing bass in London for two years and the nicest guys are at the Gallery and BassCentre. (specially Martin at the Bass Gallery).

11. Yeah, Bass Centre and the Gallery. Both great shops with great people and both are within 10 minutes walk of their respective tube stops (Liverpool St and Camden Town).

Good Luck !!