1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a bass in New England

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by mcfrankson, Nov 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mcfrankson

mcfrankson

Jan 9, 2008
    Hi All,

I am a bass player in MA. I am looking to purchase a new upright. I'd really like something German, and am looking to spend up to 15K. Where should I check out? Also, anyone in the area selling something like this? Any suggestions and any guidance is appreciated!

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Seems you may be going about this in a decidedly non-optimal fashion. New England is rich with options. My $0.02: Play as many basses as you can; forget about country of origin.

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    A partial list of CT & MA bass shops:
    Upton Bass, Mystic, CT -- The US' largest manufacturer of double basses and a deep used / vintage inventory (Disclosure: My client)
    Mark Carlsen, Tewksbury, MA -- Fine repairer, fine musician, nice person
    Volker Nahrman, Billerica, MA -- Lotta nice pics
    Mike Asetta, Haddam, CT -- Lists about half a dozen instruments

Or keep going to New York:
    David Gage
    Bill Merchant
    Kolstein Basses

Happy hunting

4. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    mark leue string instruments is in western mass. great guy. usually has a bunch of basses at his shop to try out.

5. mooseonbass

mooseonbass Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Boston
    I've got one (search for Holovnia)in the classifieds here and I'm in Mass. Another TBer has a nice hybrid just over the border in NH. The other suggestions are good and there are others around. You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting an upright bassist!

6. If only you could swing a dead cat here and hit a gig!

Mark Leue is a buddy of mine. He currently has what appears to be a prewar Wilfer for well under half of your budget, and a beautiful Langer (which could be a Hofner or Framus bass) for under $5k. He's in Ashfield, which is a little further east than central MA, and WAY up in the mountains. Bring snacks. Maybe oxygen too.

Bill Merchant is also a friend. I'm not what he has at the moment, but he spends most of the average week in Ulster County which is much closer to you than NYC.

Or, y'know, you could come here and check out my ridiculous old Saxon. ;)

7. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    Surprised no one has mentioned Arnold Schnitzer in Brewster, NY. He always has an incredible inventory. AES Fine Instruments

Mgaisbacher likes this.
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    How about Volker Narmann's shop?

9. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Vermont
    I can't recommend enough giving Mark Carlsen at the Set Up Shop in Tewksbury a call. He does sell bassespecially although his bread and butter is repair and set up work.

If he doesn't have what you are looking for he will know where to find it and is the right man to know in this area for set up work and advice.

mooseonbass likes this.