1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying a Bass in Poland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darkstrike, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Any good deals to be had?
    Cheap but quality brands?
    Something you can't get anyplace else?
    Are regular brands cheaper over threre?

My father is giong there soon, and promised to buy me one, so I'm trying to give him an idea of what to look out for.

Thanks.:)

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Is your father going on business or pleasure?
    My wife is from Poland and will be going there in a few weeks to visit family.

On the issue of basses, not sure there is much out there...nothing different than what you can get elsewhere, especialy since Poland joined the EU.

But I've never been to Poland so I am probably not much help anyway...

3. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Pleasure!
    Not even pricewise? Dosn't matter really if its something I could get anywhere if its value for money.

4. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
  5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I really the Mayones Be Exotic. The pups location reminds me of the Warwick Streamer II

6. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
  7. There are mainly 2 important luhiers in Poland: Mayones and GMR.

http://www.mayones.com/eng/
    http://www.gmr.com.pl/

Those are hand-made basses, so I think they should be well built.
    Both luhiers sell entry-level models that would cost you around 2000 to 3000 zlotys. I guess it would be more than 800 $.

They also do some Custom Shop basses, but I don't think you could buy one in a store, they're available only on order I think.

Entry-level models:

Mayones Be
    Be5%20Fretless.

Gmr Bassforce classic
    [​IMG]

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Now these entry level models, would they be easy to come by in shops over there?
    I gotta say these are indeed lovley lookin instruments.
    I believe the area he'll be going to is Krakow.

9. I'm not quite sure that they would be easy to find in shops, but it's not impossible. I already saw Mayones and GMR in Wroclaw, and Krakow is even a bigger city, so I think it should have some decent music shops...

10. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
  11. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    To be honest, I really don't think there are much great deals. A lot of things are hard to find.

12. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Thanks for the info guys, a Mayonese Be 5 string fretless, or a GMR Bassforce Classic 6string would suit me just fine, that KarinaGutars guy looks good too.

13. What's interesting with these basses is that they're handmade, which is quite rare in this price range. I haven't played one yet though.

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    This is what I was thinking, these are beautiful, incredible really, handmade instruments, for the same price I'd pay here for a MIM Fender, which is insane!
    I'm really hoping I can get one!:hyper:

15. steve21

steve21 Banned

The Mayones stuff is quality, Pain of Salvation (2 guitarists and a bassist) all endorse Mayones, and Daniel Gildenlow (guitar) has a signature model. He also had a custom made that is fretless. :cool:

16. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I saw this on Mayones website, and when I heard Pain Of Salvation, I thought of your avatar!:)

17. The ultimate Gas:

Mayones Comodous-6 Custom Bass / Kristoffer Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation)

[​IMG]

18. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    *Keels over in GAS pain*

Help.

19. As as person of Polish ancestry, I'd LOVE a GMR at some point in my life. I'd like to be able to pay the $5000 US it would cost me, though.

Z