1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

buying a bass in the us

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chantezlebas, Nov 30, 2006.

1. chantezlebas

chantezlebas

Mar 21, 2006
    hi gals and guys

im going to travel to the US in 2007 and im thinking of buying a bass there ....do you know if when i return to europe do i have to pay something to bring the bas back to my country?

Thank U!

2. yes, import tax and VAT if you get caught

3. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Yes, by law you do. You are liable to pay VAT and Import Duty on the price of the instrument. It is up to you to declare it when you pass through customs on your return, bear in mind you will be fined as well as paying VAT and Import Duty if you don't declare it and they catch you bringing it back.

In Ireland it's 21% VAT and 3.4% Import Duty for electric guitars and basses, both rates might be different wherever you are.

Please don't ask how to avoid paying tax on the forum though (you might as well be asking "how do I rob a bank" :bag:

4. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina

Ouch.

5. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    if you bring it on the plane, I wouldn't think so. Shipping it always involves a customs form.

as for bringing it on a plane, there are a couple of threads up here, one recently, I'll see if I can find em.

6. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Yup, but even so it still works out considerably (sometimes as much as 50%) cheaper than actually buying the instrument from a shop here. :eek:

7. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Actually, on International flights coming into the US, they always give you a customs form on the plane to fill out. At least that's been my experience. It doesn't make sense to lie on the form either because they can easily check what luggage you've checked through and what you carried on.

8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    oh yeah, duh!!! sorry, totally forgot about that, and done that before. actually, brought basses to japan before and totally forgot I had to state I brought that with me....

9. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    By the brazilian law, i would have to pay a fine of 1460 CA$ for my MIA deluxe, i just went thru the airport with no problem :D

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

If you want to risk getting a criminal record that's up to you - but I would never recommend this to anybody! :meh:

So -
    the chance of losing your job and never getting another decent one in future
    vs.
    saving a few $ on a bass....hmmmm ...

- not that hard!! :smug:

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    What are duties on parts ? Often it is much cheaper to ship & receive dis-assembled as the duties on parts can be significantly less than on finished goods.

So if the dutoes are lower, off go to the strings and the neck. Box things up separately and and import them as parts. You'll likely have to do a full setup with the climate change anyway so it's 4 or 6 more screws if you're talking a bolt on...

12. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Basses are quite expensive here in Brazil, and to make things worse Im lefty. So of course i had to grab the chance of getting a good bass when i went to Canada to study english. The law here is that if you bought than 500 US$ in products, you have to declare and pay a fine, but of course nobody does that.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I remember a thread on here, where somebody was complaining about how he bought Rickenbacker parts from the US and got slapped with huge customs fees and charges for handling and storage in the UK !! ;)