1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

buying a bass, need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bstringkyle, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Hi all
    I need advice. I mainly play rock, classic rock, and funk.
    I am looking for a bass with a " traditional sound " to go with my 2007 Music Man sterling and my Fender MM jazz 5 with SD basslines and an Audere JZ3 preamp. My spending limit is around 2000 dollars.
    Here are the 2 basses I've been looking at

Marcus Miller Jazz 5
    Spector Euro 5

If anybody has experience with these basses, please comment.

I am open for any other suggestions :help:

2. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Precision

3. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    bstring,

I own a Marcus Miller 5 and really dig the bass. You can really get some vibrant tones out of this bass. I also own a Sadowsky Metro and I think they are similar animals. Basically you have the same concept on the preamp. Biggest difference between the two are single coils on the MM and Hum Cancellers on the Metro. I think the single coils on the MM give it a more organic, traditional jazz bass tone. My only complaint on the MM is lack of a passive tone defeat. I bought mine via MF and it was delivered with a nice set up. You can really dial a low action (if that's your thing) on this bass.

If a smoother tone is in your offing, you also might want to consider a Metro.

Happy Hunting,
    Bones

4. Lakland. :D

5. I would add a P style if it were me (probably a used custom at that price range) and if you really like Fender a vintage P :)... the one on here with that gorgeous grain!!!

6. BlahBoy

BlahBoy

May 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Know anyone in LA? I saw a Marcus Miller V here used for $999 at a store. I almost scooped it up for myself even though I don't need it.

7. thanks for the posts, any more?

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I want to second the Lakland suggestion, and point out that an active 55-01 or 55-02 Skyline will not set you back anywhere near $2k, and used they are well under $7k, plus their B strings have the benefit of a 35 inch scale. In addition, a Sadowsky Metro Hybrid P/J ought to be on your list--a very flexible and practical instrument, IMHO.

Finally, don't forget the passive new American Standard P and J 5-strings. Couple either of these 2008 models with a good outboard pre-amp/pedal like an Aguilar or Sadowsky, and "You're Bangin!" :cool: