1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Buying a bass online

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Birddogcof, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Birddogcof

Birddogcof

Jun 1, 2017
    Utica, MI
    Hello all,
    Sorry for my posting again. But my last deal fell through on a Stingray 35. I must have the worst luck.

So I've been in talk with a couple people online. Here's what i can get:

2004ish Fender Marcus Miller made in Japan. Beautiful. No damage or blemishes really. Thing looks very clean. Shipped in a gig bag for $600.

Or....

A 2007 Music man Bongo 4HH in Rolls Burgundy. Beautiful, undamaged comes in a hard skb case. For $850.

I'm leaning towards the Bongo because of everything I've read. People seem to really love them.

Now if it were you, which would you decide? The wife and I are debating which to get. Both seem like really good deals.

Thanks for taking the time and reading.

Birddogcof

2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Apples and oranges. Both very good prices. Too good for the Marcus Miller. I don’t know much about bongo prices. I’d get the Fender if it’s legit.

3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    with just words and numbers to go by the Bongo sounds more appealing, owners seem to really like them.
    and it's purple!

4. Birddogcof

Birddogcof

Jun 1, 2017
    Utica, MI
    I am leaning more towards the Bongo. Just something about them.....

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The Bongo, without question.
    What was the other bass, again?
    I completely forgot.
    Hold on a minute, let me scroll up and check.
    Oh, yeah…
    The Bongo, for sure.

Birddogcof likes this.
  6. Bongos seem to be love or hate. If you’re one of the apparent former, go for it. Can’t recall anyone say they don’t play or sound good. Looks seem to be the issue. The softness of basswood ie. , dinging and stripping of hardware has been my fear and avoidance of it, not tonal properties. Good price on the MM and a TB approved classic.

Birddogcof likes this.
  7. Birddogcof

Birddogcof

Jun 1, 2017
    Utica, MI
    Went with the Bongo. Hopefully have it by the 21st. Can't wait till I can see it and hear it.

pcake likes this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Really classy in that color.

9. Asat77

Asat77

Apr 29, 2015
    I should try them out before buying it. You can't see on pictures how the basses feel and sound. Maybe they are both great, but maybe they won't ...