Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

buying a bass online

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by some other guy, May 2, 2005.

1. some other guy

some other guy

May 2, 2005
    i was thinking of getting a beginner's yamaha RBX 170 off www.gak.co.uk. I haven't played one before, so i have no idea what it's really like. What do you guys suggest?

2. some other guy

some other guy

May 2, 2005
    the thing is, i've never played a yamaha bass before

3. I would suggest trying them out first. Check your local music stores and such to see if they have the same or similar model that you can try out. Remember though, even identical models may sound different due to the contstruction and various other things.

4. some other guy

some other guy

May 2, 2005
    so if i got one online, it could come all set up crappy

5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I could be wrong.... but considering that his original post referenced a UK web vendor, I'd suspect he is on the wrong side of the pond to be able to grab that exceptional Musician's Friend deal.... :meh:

6. some other guy

some other guy

May 2, 2005
    that's true, i'm a brit

7. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I bought my bass off of gak.co.uk, and it didn't take that long to deliver =)
    I'm pretty impressed with them actually, and they are a lot cheaper than everywhere around here. Just bear in mind that if something goes wrong with your bass, you have a choice to either send it back somehow, or to void warranty and get it checked out locally.

8. some other guy

some other guy

May 2, 2005
    thanks for that. What bass would you guys recommend for a n00b like me? I've been playing the guitar for a year and i've decided to learn the bass

9. some other guy

some other guy

May 2, 2005
    there aren't really any decent stores around my area where there is a wide range of basses to try out...

10. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well typically, Yahama's are excellent values. You may want to find a store and try it, if not, you can wing it and buy it online. But I'd recommend finding a store that has 30 day money back garentee, so if you hate it, you can take advantage of the online stores policies

11. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    You're on one of the right tracks with Yamaha. I've recommended them to many as "inexpensive first basses"; they make some of the better low-end models.....

12. some other guy

some other guy

May 2, 2005
    is the ibanez GSR 200 any good?

13. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    I had one and it was a pretty good starter bass. I hadn't picked up a bass for about 12 years (school, work, family, moved away from bandmates) so I decided one day to pick one of these up. It was nice to play, relatively light and I got some pretty good tones out of it as well. Good value for the price.

14. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Got one of those sitting in the gig bag next to me!

I had it as a very first bass bought it from Andertons in Surrey, yet again got a great deal on it, as my dad also bought a twelve string for himself! (guitar)

I forgot how much of a nice bass it is to play. In fact at band practise the other day i went back to playing it after i pulled it out from under the bed and tuned it up the day before. For some reason it appeals to me more than the Warwick due to the raw simplicity of it. (If that makes sense?!?!)

Conclusion: Very good start out bass, also very good to start out modding your bass (and i don't mean sticking mirrors on it! :D )

15. some other guy

some other guy

May 2, 2005
    What do you prefer? ibanez GSR or an yamaha RBX?

16. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I played a Yamaha RBX 775 the other day in London, great bass the styling was whack. Had nice feal was set up well whether from the shop or from the factory i don't know. I would still play the Ibanez, its just a nice well balanced bass IMO.

17. some other guy

some other guy

May 2, 2005
    what is a good beginner's amp?

18. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Thats a goo question, there are lots of them. I think you can pick up a starter pack by Ibanez which includes a GSR 200 and a small 10 watt amp.

The difference between guitar starter amps and bass is that the bass ones need just a bit more power (watts) than say your starter guitar amp.

Look out for small combos if you've just started to learn. These are units with both the amplifier and the speaker in one (combined). A good power to start with would be 25watts.

I use a Marshall B150 which is the biggest bass combo they make. They also cater for the beginners with the B25 MkII features on this include a CD input so you can jam to learning CD's as well as having a headphone output so you don't annoy the rest of the family.

But like the bass you only know whether you'll like it if you play it. So you really need to take a day trip to an area near you where there are lots of good shops where you can sit down and try out what you want.

If you want some recommendations just PM me.

19. some other guy

some other guy

May 2, 2005
    thanks warwick player. how big would a reasonable starter speaker be, in inches?